PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Crackling Sound

Valpskott
November 4th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I've read threads where people have like a cracking sound now and then interlaced with the normal audio, for me.. I got sound last night, left my computer running overnight, and now, all I get is nothing but cracking sounds, first I tried a reboot, didn't help... so before I did any major surgery, I booted up Vista just to se that it wasn't the amp in my speakers that was at fault, which it wasn't, Vista played sound just fine.

sudo lshw -C multimedia

resulted in

*-multimedia
description: Audio device
product: MCP51 High Definition Audio
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 10.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:10.1
version: a2
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm msi ht bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=HDA Intel latency=0 maxlatency=5 mingnt=2 module=snd_hda_intel

Yeah, and also, I'm using 8.10 (L.L. something)... I'm new to linux, so I won't get offended if you explain things as you do to a 5 year old. :)

Ecclesia
November 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM
I have the same problem. Try adjusting up PCM from your mixer - which will probably be down all the way. I found this answer here:

http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?p=5698003&

As soon as you move the pcm slider up a little you should stop hearing the crackling sound.

I'm not sure where the crackling is coming from, although I must admit that I'm quite frustrated with the sound coming from my sound card (integrated nvidia) it ends up making a very quiet, yet obnoxious humming noise when I'm doing something processor heavy, most annoyingly when I'm moving window sliders. I believe it's the fault of the card, though it's hard to test as I don't use windows. It's had this issue since I got it about a year ago from 7.10 on.

Valpskott
November 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have the same problem. Try adjusting up PCM from your mixer - which will probably be down all the way.

Hah, yes... this solved it. Thank you :)