PDA

View Full Version : installing the man page

jobherzt
November 30th, 2005, 11:23 AM
hello,
sorry my question is really a newbie's question, but I'm making my first source package, and the original upstream don't wrote a man page. so I did it, but I don't know where i must specify how to install it. an other problem is, that I saw that manapages are gziped. so, myquestions are :

- where do I configure the installation of the manapages ( makefile ? rules ? .. )
- does I gzip it myself ( ie add a gzip command in the makefile ? ), or is it automatically done during the install ?

thanks !!

manavendra
May 8th, 2010, 11:22 PM
sudo apt-get install manpages manpages-dev freebsd-manpages funny-manpages gmt-manpages man2html manpages-posix manpages-posix-dev asr-manpages

rosenkavalier
August 9th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I don't know what's the exact way, IIRC it involves copying the man files into /usr/share/man directory. for Archlinux, the compression is done automatically by the package-creator, so it seems that the compression is done by distro's package management system.

sudo apt-get install manpages manpages-dev freebsd-manpages funny-manpages gmt-manpages man2html manpages-posix manpages-posix-dev asr-manpages

I know we don't like 'newbie excuse' in a question, but please refrain from such attitude when replying to a post. your reply doesn't even help here.

Bachstelze
August 9th, 2011, 10:21 AM
If you are building a DEbian package, you can use debhelper to install the man page

man dh_installman