PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best Replacement for iTunes for iPod Classic + Podcasts

birdd
November 4th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I have been experimenting with a few media players but there is so many out there...

I've just decided last week to take the lunge and move my main desktop pc to purely Linux...

Now I had used iTunes to play my music and also to sync with my 160GB iPod Classic. I also used iTunes to download Podcasts (both Audio and Video) and sync them to the iPod as well...

Now I am looking for a good replacement for iTunes that can do all that...

I have found Rhythmbox has been the closest so far but it doesn't seem to support the podcasts on the ipod very well and doesn't seem to support videos either...

I have tried Banshee and Amarok and couldn't get either of them to talk to my iPod at all...

I have also tried GTKPod but I'd like an all-in-one solution so i can play the music and create playlists without having to switch apps...

EDIT:
I've just discovered SongBird this afternoon, so i'll give it ago when i get home but it doesn't appear to support videos yet...

I guess i could live with a seperate app to download my video podcasts as i rarely watch video podcasts on my ipod (unless i'm on a plane which doesn't happen often now that my Fiancee has moved up here (was about 24hrs drive away)). I mainly just use my ipod to listen to audio podcasts while driving too and from work in my car.

So is there an music player that manages the library, can sync with my iPod, download Audio Podcasts, and sync Audio Podcasts with my iPod.

And then anotther App just for downloading Video Podcasts for watching on the PC... I guess Miro is a good option for that?

Rodney9
November 4th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I use GPodder with my original iPod Nano for podcasts.
Doesn't play music but downloads,syncs, adds and remove podcasts very well.

gPodder downloads podcasts

gPodder is a podcast receiver/catcher written in Python utilizing PyGTK for its graphical interface. Versions are available for Linux and FreeBSD. We also have a version for Nokia Internet Tablets.
Feature highlights

* Support for RSS and Atom feeds
* Supports BitTorrent podcasts
* Download queue and rate limit
* Synchronize to iPods, MTP devices, MP3 players or via Bluetooth
* A new release every month
* Licensed under the GPL, version 3 or later

http://www.gpodder.org/

You can find it in Synaptic

jengo
November 4th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I recommend SongBird. In my opinion its one of the best music managers on any operating system. Give it a try, im sure you will enjoy it.

http://www.getdeb.net/app/Songbird

aflicted
December 12th, 2008, 02:20 AM
I just got songbird and am thoroughly impressed with it. It has everything I was looking for in a music player. I use VLC for video. Until now I was using Amarok but love the songbird interface and library interface. Glad I found this tip. Thanks mang!

razy60
December 12th, 2008, 03:50 PM
try lastfm has an iplop specific download thingy(dont own one of jobbies toys so cant say how good or bad it is).

Raz