PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with Internet Sharing using Firestarter

churfsan
November 4th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Hello all,

I have a laptop with Ubuntu Inrepid 8.10. I connect to a wireless router to the internet. I have a desktop PC which I want to connect to Internet through the laptop.

I used Firestarter, and did the setup as per the documentation.
I am using wireless to connect to Internet
I am using eth0 (wired ethernet) to connect to my desktop (client)

When I tried to configure eth0 as static IP (as required by Firestarter),
whenever I use the network manager to set the mask to 255.255.255.0 and then click on 'OK', the mark field somehow changes to '24' or '16' - funny?

When I try to start the firewall on the firestarter, it gives a message saying that eth0 is not ready

I checked that eth0 is working by connecting it directly to the router, and it works without problem.

Any suggestions or help will be very much appreciated.

stewsat
November 8th, 2008, 03:38 AM
I am in the same leaky boat. Using a HSDPA E169, connects fine. Set eth0 to a static IP. Same message "eth0 is not ready". Installed DHCP3-server, so that is fine. Really at my wits end. Was using an old SME mitel server with 2 eth cards. Now upgraded from slow satellite to v fast HSDPA and just want to share it with my network of 4 computers, actually 3 and a TIVO. Please help anyone..
Stew :)

rhcm123
November 8th, 2008, 03:48 AM
Hello all,

I have a laptop with Ubuntu Inrepid 8.10. I connect to a wireless router to the internet. I have a desktop PC which I want to connect to Internet through the laptop.

I used Firestarter, and did the setup as per the documentation.
I am using wireless to connect to Internet
I am using eth0 (wired ethernet) to connect to my desktop (client)

When I tried to configure eth0 as static IP (as required by Firestarter),
whenever I use the network manager to set the mask to 255.255.255.0 and then click on 'OK', the mark field somehow changes to '24' or '16' - funny?

When I try to start the firewall on the firestarter, it gives a message saying that eth0 is not ready

I checked that eth0 is working by connecting it directly to the router, and it works without problem.

Any suggestions or help will be very much appreciated.

Two things:
1. Are you connecting directly from the Desktop to the Laptop? Or is their a switch in between? (You might need a crossover cable)
2. configure the subnet mask with:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
(add the subnet to the appropriate interface)
and restart them with

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Now try to start firestarter.

I ditched firestarter when it became too much of a hassle. And be sure to edit sysctl.conf to route packets!

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
and you should see a line that says "uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv4
remove the # sign from the line after it

churfsan
November 10th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Two things:
1. Are you connecting directly from the Desktop to the Laptop? Or is their a switch in between? (You might need a crossover cable)
2. configure the subnet mask with:

sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces
(add the subnet to the appropriate interface)
and restart them with

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
Now try to start firestarter.

I ditched firestarter when it became too much of a hassle. And be sure to edit sysctl.conf to route packets!

sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf
and you should see a line that says "uncomment the next line to enable packet forwarding for IPv4
remove the # sign from the line after it
Thanks for the reply.
I am using cross cable and connecting directly between the laptop and the desktop.

I have not edited any of the files mentioned in your reply. I will have to look into that.

I have seem some eloborate HOWTO on Internet sharing in these forums also, but it involves lot of file editing and manual setup. A friend suggested that I can use Fire Starter as the easy way out.

Looks like it is not going to be so easy anyway.

Thanks again, I will post my experience