PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will a Verizon wireless aircard work with linux/ubuntu?

Morty007
November 4th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I'm thinking about getting a usb aircard so I can have wireless everywhere. Verizon said they will sell it to me but won't support it. Does anyone have any advice, or does anyone use verizon with ubuntu?

Grumpywolfe
November 4th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Hi

I have one of there usb wireless anywhere things an it does fine with Ubuntu 8.10 with Ubuntu 8.04 you have to use wvdial but is not that bad.

Morty007
December 16th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Just thought I'd give this a bump... is there anyone else that has one, and how has it been with ibex? Verizon told me they would not support linux, but I think I should just tell them I have a mac and it will do just fine.

Deedub
January 26th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Just thought I'd give this a bump... is there anyone else that has one, and how has it been with ibex? Verizon told me they would not support linux, but I think I should just tell them I have a mac and it will do just fine.

I have an HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop, with a PCI Express slot and I'm running 8.10. I also have an ac595 aircard I purchased thru Verizon. Aircard is not PCI Express. I had to buy an Express to PCI adapter. From what I've read you need to update the card thru Windows but you can use it in ibex. Make sure it's connected at boot and the system should see it. In Network Manager it should show as "Auto Mobile Broadband (CDMA) connection".

cdtech
January 26th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I personally use the Sprint Novatel MC727. I have no problems running this modem. I use chatscripts created for my Sprint Modem and a command line pon sprint / poff sprint to connect with. I like it alot, gives me access to the internet while on the road.

dccrens
January 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I have the verizon USB760. THey advertize that it works with Linux but I have not been ablt to get it to work. Nor, it appears has anyone else so I would not get that one...

mikecanada
January 27th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I am using a Sierra Air Card 597 with Ubuntu 8.10 works perfect no mods needed.Cheers Mike

BlueVark
January 27th, 2009, 01:32 AM
I have the Verizon UM175 USB Modem and it works like a champ. All I did was plug it into a newly formatted laptop with Ubuntu 8.10 and the computer recognized the modem (without installing any software), connected without me doing anything and worked flawlessly.

I don't know if I am just the lucky one, but it was really impressive. This is my first experience with Ubuntu and I have to say that I am impressed with the networking capabilities.

God Bless...BlueVark

Morty007
January 27th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Wow, glad this post finally got bumped. Thanks for the info guys!

dccrens
January 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The Verizon USB760 works as well. See:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1002262&highlight=USB760

Morty007
March 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Dave, did you get yours to work?

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=4327