PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to configure wireless internet on Toshiba Laptop??

shgadwa
November 3rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I just bought a new Toshiba L300 Laptop that is supposed to be WIFI compatible. It originally had Vista on it. I removed that junk to put Xubuntu on it. I know that networking worked great with Vista, as I used it, no problems.

On Xubuntu, it acts like I do not even have a wireless card, when I must have one for it to be working on vista and it is supposed to come with one.

My guess is that it is not communicating with the card, meaning that I do not have the driver installed.. I dunno but there are no available drivers to install in the Hardware Drivers app.

Any help would be appreciated.

lisati
November 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing challenges with your L300 - on both my Toshiba laptops (one an A100, the other an M200) the Wifi works well with Ubuntu.

The first thing I can think of is to make sure that the WiFi switch is set to "on"

Perhaps someone more familiar with the L300 range might be able to suggest other things to check.

shgadwa
November 3rd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks for you quick reply! I did check, and the switch is on.

God bless you

~Shawn

shgadwa
November 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Thanks for you quick reply! I did check, and the switch is on.

God bless you

~Shawn

shgadwa
November 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I've never had a problem with Xubuntu 8.04... Maybe I will install that and once internet is working, I can upgrade the OS, as I did with my older laptop.

shgadwa
November 4th, 2008, 10:58 AM
ok... that did not work. Back to 8.10.... Any Ideas? It might be that my computer does not use the DHCP protocol??? I dunno.

shgadwa
November 4th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I found this thread here and did what the last guy suggested and now... IT WORKS!

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/my-wireless-internet-wont-work.-680842/