PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot - Windows broke 8.04

ubuntu1sttimer
November 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
I installed 8.04 on a Dell Dimension 4550 for a friend that wanted to try Linux. Set up the 80 GB HD with a 40 GB partition for Ubuntu, 5 GB for the Ubuntu swap, and the remaining 35 GB for XP Home. I did this on another Dell for another friend and it worked great and they love Ubuntu.

This time Ubuntu configured fine except for the wireless card which I decided to deal with later. I then installed XP Home from the disk provided with the computer by Dell. It installed and works like XP.

The problem and reason for this posting is that after installing XP I no longer get the choice to boot to Ubuntu. It goes straight into XP as if there was nothing else there. Using the live 8.04 disk I do see the Linux partitions along with the files one would expect so Windows only messed with Grub or something similar.

The question, how do I determine just what was changed and how do I change it back to allow a boot choice at startup.

ubuntu1sttimer
November 5th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Bump

crate2k5
November 5th, 2008, 02:25 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=971690 they have posted links to reinstalling the grub installer