PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] only upgrade from 8.10 iso, wanted fresh install

prann
November 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I have Root on one partition and Home on another. I put the 8.10 CD in, started the install, selected manual, told it to format my old Root partition and then installed 8.10. But it only upgraded from 8.04. When I booted up there was my crappy desktop and a bunch of other stuff I no longer wanted. How do I do a fresh install?

bscbrit
November 3rd, 2008, 06:15 PM
What you will see is the data that was held in your /home folder. You have a new install but the data that you have asked it to keep in your /home has been kept.

If you want it to delete everything, when you get to the partitioning part of the update, tell it to reformat both the / and /home partition. I can assure you that, after that, it will all be gone.

prann
November 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
What you will see is the data that was held in your /home folder. You have a new install but the data that you have asked it to keep in your /home has been kept.

True I want to keep the stuff I have in /home ie documents, music etc...
but it restored my color theme, icon theme, bookmarks and dozens of Firefox add-ons I didn't want. I could uninstall all of that. But I can't figure out how to change the color theme back to default.

bscbrit
November 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Sorry, Prann, I misunderstood what you were asking for.

System->Preferences->Appearance

is what I think you a looking for.