PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Installation vs. Upgrade

tonyh6243
November 3rd, 2008, 04:40 PM
Has anyone observed any benefits to performing a fresh installation vs. a upgrade when a new version of Ubuntu arrives? From looking through the forums it seems as though more people have issues when upgrading than when performing the fresh installation of the new version.

taurus
November 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
If you can back up your personal files, it's always a good idea to do a fresh install because you would never know what will happen when you do an upgrade.

lifestream
November 3rd, 2008, 04:49 PM
Make a /home partition, and do a fresh install every time. It doesn't take too long from the disc, because you can download the ISO while doing your work, or playing! And you can install while work and playing! But if you do an update, you gotta sit back and twiddle your thumbs :P

Plus, from what I've read on these forums since Gutsy, there's a better chance that you'll be happier with a fresh install. Update can be problematic.

This should be a sticky!

NewJack
November 3rd, 2008, 04:51 PM
I upgraded once (Dapper to Edgy) and had nothing but problems. I have done fresh installs ever since and have not had any problems whatsoever. I usually just back up all of my media files to an external drive and just start from scratch with each release. No conflicts that way.

bapoumba
November 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
Just to add one point to what has already been said. I usually fresh install (always with a separate /home).

The good side is that it cleans every additional packages I have installed for tests.
The down side is that packages that are not shipped with Ubuntu but I need, I have to reinstall.

Overall, I prefer fresh installs (I test a lot of things ;))

eldragon
November 3rd, 2008, 05:07 PM
i personally do fresh installs on the laptop, and keep the upgrade path on the server (desktop) which requires a lot more settings to do.

Matthewthegreat
November 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
I did a upgrade to intrepid and so far I have had no problems.

em4r1z
November 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Operating systems shouldn't be reinstalled every now and then. If they need to, you'd better use a different one.
Upgrade using the Alternate CD and you should be fine. I've always found easier, simpler and better to upgrade than to do a new install.

OrangeCrate
November 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM
So, what's everyone's take on jdong's comment...

Actually, We do NOT advise a clean install every time you want to upgrade. The upgrade path receives far more testing and attention than the clean install path. The official recommended method for moving to a new version of Ubuntu is to use a supported upgrade procedure!

in post #96, in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=936696&page=10