dethredic
November 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
anyone?

dethredic
November 7th, 2008, 03:23 AM
?

ramaswamyps
November 7th, 2008, 03:38 AM
boot with cd and post the /var/log/dmesg from partition so we can find what is wrong.

you can try to boot with old kernel also

check if the disk vol id is correct in the kernel line.

from boot cd you can check fsck of the partition.

tihut100
November 7th, 2008, 04:21 AM
hi
i am having a big problem and i have no idea what is going on cause i am not the best with computers. but when i insert the cd in and press on "instal ubuntu" during the reboting procces i get an error that says something like kernel error need x86-94 cpu and have i684.
i have no idea what this means and i am really interested in using this operating system, if anyone has the answer please let me know.

Jedi1usa
November 7th, 2008, 04:56 AM
boot with cd and post the /var/log/dmesg from partition so we can find what is wrong.

you can try to boot with old kernel also

check if the disk vol id is correct in the kernel line.

from boot cd you can check fsck of the partition.

I am having the same kernel panic issue when I try to boot from CD. I don't see how I can get to the "/var/log/dmesg" because it instantly panics after selecting the boot option. In fact I don't see how it could possibly have a log because the kernel panic occurs because it is unable to mount the FS.

Any other suggestions?

halfmanhalfbug
November 7th, 2008, 06:54 AM
Hi Jedi1usa
I think this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=966939 may describe your problem. Apparently some upgrades do not add the
"initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic"
line to the listing for the new 2.6.27-7 kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you can boot an old kernel (should be possible if this is actually the problem) then check your /boot/grub/menu.lst using a text editor. Is there a line for the initrd for the new kernel?
Good luck,
hmhb

halfmanhalfbug
November 7th, 2008, 08:12 AM
And tihut100, it looks like you downloaded the 64-bit version (for x86_64 cpu) of Ubuntu when you actually need the 32-bit version (for i686 cpu). Simply go to the downloads page and be sure the radio button for "32bit version" is checked, then download that version.

Jedi1usa
November 7th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Jedi1usa
I think this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=966939 may describe your problem. Apparently some upgrades do not add the
line to the listing for the new 2.6.27-7 kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you can boot an old kernel (should be possible if this is actually the problem) then check your /boot/grub/menu.lst using a text editor. Is there a line for the initrd for the new kernel?
Good luck,
hmhb

OK. I was not really doing an upgrade or install, just trying to run off the CD. I'll check to see if I have the correct (32bit) version as mentioned in another post.

halfmanhalfbug
November 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Oops, sorry. I should have directed my comment about the initrd more to dethredic, who is having the upgrade problem.

ramaswamyps
November 8th, 2008, 05:57 AM
I am having the same kernel panic issue when I try to boot from CD. I don't see how I can get to the "/var/log/dmesg" because it instantly panics after selecting the boot option. In fact I don't see how it could possibly have a log because the kernel panic occurs because it is unable to mount the FS.

Any other suggestions?

you probably have to check md5 of the iso file downloaded.
if checks ok make another cd at the slowest possible speed in nero in windows.or any other recorder.

dethredic
November 22nd, 2008, 05:11 AM
Hi Jedi1usa
Good luck,
hmhb

Sorry for the delayed response.

That line was not there.
I went into command line and added the line:
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

I booted again, and I got some error 15 file not found or something like that.

cigtoxdoc
November 28th, 2008, 03:13 AM
I had same thing happen while doing an on-line upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10. I stopped PC when it looked like it was upgrading files (314 total) to 8.04 when 8.10 had already downloaded and installed. I know get Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill the idle task! I am down loading ISO image for 8.10 as there is apparently no way to recover.

JHL