PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Intrepid 2.6.27 kernel a problem

Lesouteneur
November 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I repeatedly installed Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu 8.10. Neither of them worked. I used different mirrors, torrents, I made a couple of CDs everytime the cd would boot the usplash would hang unless i repeatedly pressed a key through the process of loading. It was very annoying as I needed to do this on every boot. The kernel also apparently didn't take well to my video card, Nvidia 7000M. Kwin and compiz would sometimes have the close minimize and maximize buttons not completely displayed.

For the time being I have reinstalled Windows Vista, as much as I hate too. I would really like to go back to Ubuntu but this has not been possible at this point. How can I revert the kernel to 2.6.26 and solve my woes?

Lesouteneur
November 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Anyone?

Yashiro
November 3rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
a) Edit your Grub menu to use the old kernel?
b) No grub? Swap the kernels over, old ones are usually backed up when you do official upgrades.
c) Install Ubuntu 8.04 instead and avoid these teething issues.
d) Chill out.

Lesouteneur
November 8th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I installed Kubuntu 8.04 and then upgraded to 8.10. It still failed because when I picked the old kernel from the menu, it would say there was no "resume image."

Yashiro
November 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Machine has nvidia onboard graphics and you have 4g of ram installed?

You're also installing a 64bit image I presume?

Lesouteneur
November 8th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Machine has nvidia onboard graphics and you have 4g of ram installed?

You're also installing a 64bit image I presume?

I have nvidia 7000M, which is onboard. I have 2GB ram on an AMD processor. I tried both the 64bit and 32bit versions of Ubuntu and with both I experience the same problem...

Yashiro
November 8th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Only option is to use 8.04 I guess. 8.10 is a pretty cruddy release for certain hardware setups.