PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] server 8.04 HDD problem

kbryan
November 3rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
I am fairly new to linux. i set up a home server using 8.04. i have 3 500 GB HDDS and i tried to do a hard raid set up with them. it didnt work for some reason so i tried the software version. i couldnt get that to work either.
in the end i was just trying to get my home server back up and figured i would just get used to opening each HDD up individually but when i re-installed my HDDs didnt mount automatically, and when i mounted them they were read only. i checked the permissions and it said "the permissions of 'disk' could not be determined". now i know there a few threads out there for people who have this problem but i could not get thair solutions to work for me. plus i get lost if it isnt very clear what to do.

i would love to run raid0 or raid5 but honestly i would be satisfied if i could use all my disks.

i am running 100% ubuntu. so the linux/windows solutions didnt really help me. if there is a thread that will fix this and i havent found it yet then i would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction. or just let me know how to fix it.

thanks!

kbryan
November 6th, 2008, 05:02 AM
nothing??

i have googled, and googled...... and googled some more. i cant seem to find anyone with this same exact problem. i have no clue what happened and i have no idea how to get these hdds working at the same time.

i can load linux on to any one of them but when i log in i cant see my other 2 hdds!? i have re-formatted them and re-installed.

???????