PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Download location?

Garrison_O
November 3rd, 2008, 01:37 AM
Hey everybody
I'm thinking of getting rid of my current operating system (windows vista) and installing ubuntu 8.10. I was looking at the download section, and it said to pick a download location near me. Could someone explain what this is for? Does my CD not download right at my computer?
Also, if anyone could explain to me the steps I have to take to get rid of Windows and install Ubuntu, that would be great, cause I'm a bit confused about all that live CD stuff.
Thanks!

Partyboi2
November 3rd, 2008, 01:57 AM
To remove windows choose to install to the entire disk when you get to the partitioning stage of the ubuntu installer this will wipe windows and install ubuntu. If ubuntu is your first linux I would suggest maybe looking at the dual boot option which will allow you to run both windows and ubuntu.
Here (http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_f irst.htm) is a how-to if you decide to dual boot.

selenium
November 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM
By download location, they refer to using a server geographically close to you. This will generally help download speeds. For example, if you're in Asia, Asian servers will give you better speeds than European ones.

Garrison_O
November 3rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
Ok, thanks!
Also, when I download Ubuntu, will it instruct me in putting it onto a CD? and will any ordinary blank CD work?
And is there any particular reason I should dual boot? I've used Ubuntu a little bit using Wubi, and I don't think I really want Windows anymore, but I don't want to mess anything up too bad. :)

Partyboi2
November 3rd, 2008, 05:19 AM
Ok, thanks!
Also, when I download Ubuntu, will it instruct me in putting it onto a CD? and will any ordinary blank CD work?
And is there any particular reason I should dual boot? I've used Ubuntu a little bit using Wubi, and I don't think I really want Windows anymore, but I don't want to mess anything up too bad. :)
You can follow this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto) to prepare the ubuntu disk. A ordinary blank cd should be fine. I only suggested dual boot as a transitional period, if you are comfortable with just ubuntu then by all means get rid of windows and go ubuntu all the way. :cool: