PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] When stopping DVD or getting to end of video file in xine, monitor goes black

Robertjm
November 3rd, 2008, 01:30 AM
Been having a new experience for about a week (or so) now. After I'm done watching a DVD I hit the "stop" button on xine-ui. All of a sudden my monitor goes black, with a cursor flashing in the upper lefthand corner. Nothing more. I had thought this was restricted to DVDs only, however, I just experienced the same problem with a video I'd downloaded from Basic Brewing, which I was playing through xine.

If I hit ctrl-Alt-f1 I get a command prompt for logging in, which I can. However, once there if I tell it to exit it doesn't go anywhere. Also telling it to start-x gets me back to the black screen.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I really had the idea of having to kill the program before the end of the video just to exit!!

Using Intrepid Ibex w/ATI restricted drivers enabled, but Visual Effects set to None.

Robert

pickle79
November 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have the same configuration and the same problem. It happens with multiple videos (all?), but I don't have the problem with media players other than xine.

Sometimes I'll have a little more than the flashing cursor, such as some console information that isn't related to video. I can bring up a console, but can't get back into an X session.