PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CCCP Equivalent

Ciwan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:37 AM
Hi Guys

I've just installed Ubuntu on my PC, and I want to play some AVI and MKV movies on it.

On my Windows PC ( I have two PCs) I use the CCCP codec pack. I have found it to be the BEST EVER.

I was wondering is there an equivalent to CCCP for Ubuntu ??

Thanks

shirilover
November 3rd, 2008, 04:52 AM
That would MPlayer with the SMPlayer front-end. See here -> http://smplayer.sourceforge.net

Ciwan
November 6th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Cool thanks Shirilover

Is there a code I can type into a Terminal that would download and install SMPlayer for me ?

Thanks

kostkon
November 6th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Cool thanks Shirilover

Is there a code I can type into a Terminal that would download and install SMPlayer for me ?

Thanks
You can install it using Synaptic...

kostkon
November 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM
As far as a CCCP equivalent, if you have all the Gstreamer plugins and the w32codecs you can play everything...

shirilover
November 6th, 2008, 08:59 PM
As far as a CCCP equivalent, if you have all the Gstreamer plugins and the w32codecs you can play everything...

But, you won't display styled subtitles properly.

kodoku
November 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM
But, you won't display styled subtitles properly.

The latest stable mplayer has built-in support of a$$/ssa subtitles, which works beautifully in my experience, even for Chinese subtitles =). The only quirk is that you need to have freetype installed as well, but that's as easy as apt-getting.

In short, install Gstreamer codecs and w32codecs, and then install SMPlayer, and you should be good to go!

Note: I forgot about the text filter, a$$ stands for advanced sub station, or .a s s, without the spaces =D

ichi@YUKI
January 10th, 2009, 09:58 PM
i've been looking for this.. thanks.. :D