PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of some screensavers

lee.jarratt
November 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Hello,

There are wayyyyy too many screensavers available and most of them are rubbish in my opinion, they should be trimmed down to the 3 or 4 quality ones (keeping the Ubuntu logo one of course). Personally, It just doesn't seem to work, there is lots of screensavers but one new wallpaper for each release.

-_-

Lee x

ronacc
November 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
+1 they are always saying we can't include this or that because of no room on the cd yet they have 2 complete screensaver setups xscreensaver and gnome (or kde) screensaver , isn't that redundant ? they should keep all but one or two in the repos and save cd space .

Timon&Pumba
November 2nd, 2008, 11:03 PM
Is gnome-screensaver not merely a package that hooks xscreensaver nicely into the Gnome environment?

I agree that there are way too much screensavers. Just split the package into a base and an extra package. It is not solely the size argument that counts, but also giving the user a good overview of the best that is out there.

smartboyathome
November 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
Is gnome-screensaver not merely a package that hooks xscreensaver nicely into the Gnome environment?

I agree that there are way too much screensavers. Just split the package into a base and an extra package. It is not solely the size argument that counts, but also giving the user a good overview of the best that is out there.

No, its not. Its just a different GUI frontend for xscreensaver which gets rid of configuration.

Peter76
November 3rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
+1 I was thinking this a couple of days ago as well. Most of them are really outdated and definitely take up space on the cd which could be used for something else

hellion0
November 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
+1 as well. Screensavers themselves might once have served a purpose, but that purpose died along with burn-in. Even if some form of screensaver is left behind for nostalgic reasons, the amount of them that ship with the CDs are ridiculous.

steeleyuk
November 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
+1 as well. Screensavers themselves might once have served a purpose, but that purpose died along with burn-in.

Yep, if it was down to me, the screensaver function would be gone completely (by default anyway). Its just as easy to either turn the monitor off or use standby.

Some people will be glad its not up to me then. :biggrin:

MacUntu
November 4th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Another +1. I don't even know one person that uses a screensaver (except of "black screen").

mc4100
November 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Another +1. I don't even know one person that uses a screensaver (except of "black screen").

I use one. (http://www.electricsheep.org/index.cgi?&menu=samples)

... but they don't ship that by default anyway. ;)

ibizatunes
November 4th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Another +1

Gourgi
November 4th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I use one. (http://www.electricsheep.org/index.cgi?&menu=samples)

... but they don't ship that by default anyway. ;)

i'm also using electric ships in my digital farm :D
i also think limiting the screensavers would be better.
Also this would save space for another feature to be ther by default

Of course devs looking to this idea about the screensavers should NOT forget this (IMO) important bug brainstormed here :

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7237/image/1/ (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7237/)

i'm pretty sure a bug report already existed for this but i couldbn't find one right now. if not i 'll fill one and post back here.

plun
November 4th, 2008, 01:36 PM
i
i also think limiting the screensavers would be better.
Also this would save space for another feature to be ther by default

Yup.... for example community themes...;)

There are also a bunch of terrible fonts included.

ronacc
November 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
considering that the ISO always is at the limit (and sometimes over) of what a CD will hold they need to rethink everything that has many components that rarely/never get used on most installs and leave them in the repos for when they are needed/wanted .

lswb
November 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
In particular, hardy shipped with a screensaver that would take screenshots at random times and then display them when that screensaver was active. I always left my screensave to the "random" setting where it would cycle through all the installed screensavers. I returned to my desk once and there was an screenshot up that included my personal ID info and a charge card number from when I was ordered something online!

autocrosser
November 4th, 2008, 03:54 PM
What could be done is ship with 5~6 really good screensavers & package the rest in a extrascreensavers.deb package

That would most likely save 1~3mb in the LiveCD for more important stuff.

philinux
November 4th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Hufo's smoke, to pick one, while impressive uses nearly 100% cpu. Therefore not very good. While say mobius gears run at <10% cpu.

ronacc
November 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
this will probably sound horrible , it is not ment that way . do we really need 50 or so langage-packs on the CD ? by all means have them available from the repos and maybe after release regionaly customised cd's but wouldn't say 1/2dozen well chosen language packs give 99% of users enough functionality to get their own specific language pack d/l'd and installed ? that would save several MB atleast .

gjoellee
November 4th, 2008, 06:57 PM
You have my support!

lee.jarratt
November 4th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I also can't seem to find this in Launchpad, do you reckon we should file a bug?

x

ronacc
November 4th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I don't think this qualifys as a bug , there is a place for requests/suggestions I don't have time right now to look for it .

autocrosser
November 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Yes-it needs to be posted in Ubuntu Brainstorm--I'm at work, so don't have the address....

ronacc
November 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM
thanks autocrosser I was having a momentary lapse into oldtimers disease and couldn't remember the name :p

macroshaft
November 5th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I think Ubuntu comes with some of the best 'out of the box' screensavers I have ever seen. The use of 3D is breathtaking at times. When the interlinking rings saver was added I remember glancing round and spotting many, many doughnuts on my screen. I was amused by this for a long time!

I would hate to see any of these showstoppers go, however there are a few which just make me cringe. It would be nice if we were able to choose which ones could be randomly played.

I also think the suggestion for having an add on pack in the repos is great, in windows you download and install new ones, why can't we?