PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] BCM4328 in 8.10

Insperatus
November 2nd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Following this guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff) I used to use ndiswrapper to great effect in 8.04. After doing the automatic upgrade to 8.10 my wireless stopped working. I've got a Dell E1505 with a BCM4328 inside.

Coming across this posting (http://backports.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=959451) I tried removing ndiswrapper as it seems the wl driver should run my bcm4328 without the need for windows drivers. No luck. So then I actually followed the instructions from the experts:

sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper bcm43xx wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo modprobe b44
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Previous is just a test for the current session, run the following for a sustained fix (script):

echo -e '#ssb workaround, added `date`\ninstall wl modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install wl $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe b44;' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/wl

Unfortunately for me I got an error after running the first line of the test:
james@james-laptop:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper bcm43xx wl
[sudo] password for james:
FATAL: Module bcm43xx not found.

I am a tinkerer, not an expert. I reasoned that I do not have ndiswrapper installed anymore and thus I removed the reference to it:

sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo modprobe b44
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

(took out ndiswrapper bcm43xx)

Voila! The test and then worked and the sustaining script as well! Yeah! Wireless without ndiswrapper! (thank you ndiswrapper for running my wireless for a year)

PinkFloyd102489
November 2nd, 2008, 07:25 PM
The wl driver should install by default without coaxing. Sometimes the modules load in the wrong order. Just make up a script and throw it in the /usr/bin dir, such as "fixwireless".

#!/bin/bash
sudo rmmod b44
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo rmmod wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo modprobe ssb
sudo modprobe b44

Insperatus
November 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
Hey thanks I appreciate the input! I did get it running already with Ayuthia's script:

echo -e '#ssb workaround, added `date`\ninstall wl modprobe -r b43 b44 b43legacy ssb; modprobe --ignore-install wl $CMDLINE_OPTS; modprobe b44;' | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/wl

Something along the same lines as yours I guess?

frriction
November 28th, 2008, 02:56 AM
Thank you Insperatus
It is so simple to activate my wifi bcm4328 (rev 03) card. I have dell inspiron 1520 with wifi card dell mini 1505 mini with n draft which is broadcom manufactured card.
Now my wifi work great with ubuntu also.
with that script it works automatically after boot also.