PDA

View Full Version : [other] [SOLVED] Increase torrent speed??

diwas
November 2nd, 2008, 05:56 PM
Well i have a broadband connection of 128kbps. I use utorrent in XP and my download speed is around 13kbps but not more than that. No matter which torrent i use...its the same.
When i download other things...i mean from the websites and all...the download rate is around 16-17..certainly more than 13...
I have heard from many ppl that it is possible to "increase" the speed...is it true..?
If yes, please gimme some tips.

Thank you.

deltaprime
November 2nd, 2008, 05:59 PM
k so do you want to download in ubuntu now or are we still talkin xp?

rhcm123
November 2nd, 2008, 06:03 PM
It's not really dependent on your connection, but on other peoples. Obviously, it will make some sort of difference if you have a fast connection, but not a lot. I have a 1mpbs down-link connection (a 950 kbps uplink) but it still only downloads at about 50 kbps.

How torrents work is, instead of downloading from a central server like iTunes or Zune, it goes to lots of people's home computers, people with the file and seeding it, and then downloads bits and pieces of the file from them, taking those bits to make one whole file.

There is no real way to speed it up - you just have to wait.

gandaran
November 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
Well i have a broadband connection of 128kbps. I use utorrent in XP and my download speed is around 13kbps

those 13 kbps download speed correspond to the 128kbps broadband connection, you won't get any more, maybe you are mixing bits with bytes.

diwas
November 2nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
It's not really dependent on your connection, but on other peoples. Obviously, it will make some sort of difference if you have a fast connection, but not a lot. I have a 1mpbs down-link connection (a 950 kbps uplink) but it still only downloads at about 50 kbps.

How torrents work is, instead of downloading from a central server like iTunes or Zune, it goes to lots of people's home computers, people with the file and seeding it, and then downloads bits and pieces of the file from them, taking those bits to make one whole file.

There is no real way to speed it up - you just have to wait.

Thanks. Well in youtube there are hell lot of techy stuffs...and i tried few of 'em...no results.
Anyways, you are right...i have to wait...and im happy wid it.

And I use linux bt i simply dont like WINE. So i download torrent stuffs frm XP. Yeah there are lots of torrent downloaders in linux as well but i like utorrent!! Pretty dogmatic huh?? Hehe.

Thanks for your replies BTW.