PDA

View Full Version : do applications have to be open source

wpshooter
November 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Is it required/mandatory that ALL programs that are run natively on an open source operating system such as Ubuntu also be open source ?

Thanks.

Marshal0505
November 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
No references , but common sense obliges me to say no :)

ARhere
November 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
When you say, "run natively" do you mean the program is shipped with Ubuntu, or just that a Linux version is available. Please clarify.

-AR

slakkie
November 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
No, there isn't a requirement that you must use open source software on open source platforms. Oracle is closed source and it runs on open source platforms.. There are many closed source drivers which run on open source platforms..

aysiu
November 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Opera, Skype, and Crossover Office are all closed source as far as I can tell.

jespdj
November 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
"Open source" is a matter of licensing.

There is no technical requirement for software running on an open source operating system to be open source, because there's no technical difference between open source and closed source software.

Tomosaur
November 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Is it required/mandatory that ALL programs that are run natively on an open source operating system such as Ubuntu also be open source ?

Thanks.

You are free to pretty much run whatever you like on your machine (within the law, obviously :P). You may run whatever you want on your system, be it open or closed-source.

david_lynch
November 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM

Thanks.Of course not. IBM DB2 is not open source, and it runs just fine on ubuntu. For that matter neither quake 4, doom 3 nor ut2004 are open source and their native linux versions run just fine on ubuntu.

the_darkside_986
November 1st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Of course it is ok for the user to install those on Ubuntu, the free software licenses govern what can be done with releases not what the user personally does with the software. But most non-free software such as Flash cannot ship with Ubuntu not because of any free software license violation but because the author does not allow it but only allows manual installation by the user.

wpshooter
November 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
When you say, "run natively" do you mean the program is shipped with Ubuntu, or just that a Linux version is available. Please clarify.

-AR

Is available from the vendor/developer to run on Ubuntu/Linux.

Thanks.

wpshooter
November 1st, 2008, 10:34 PM

Thanks but let me clarify, when I refer to software applications, I mean software applications that are written for a specific (non-utilitarian function - which is what I would classify the ones you listed).

I am speaking of applications such as Peachtree Accounting software, Quickbooks Accounting software, Creative Solutions Accounting software, Sage FAS100 Depreciation software, CCH Prosystem Tax preparation software and many, many others in that same vain.

The business/accounting world never can/will utilize Ubuntu/Linux until these types of applications are ported to run natively on Linux O/Ss.

If you do not believe this, then just mention to the IT department the possibility of trying to switch a major accounting firm or most any other type of business to a Linux environment and see what kind of funny looks you get !!!

Thanks.

aysiu
November 1st, 2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks but let me clarify, when I refer to software applications, I mean software applications that are written for a specific (non-utilitarian function - which is what I would classify the ones you listed).

I am speaking of applications such as Peachtree Accounting software, Quickbooks Accounting software, Creative Solutions Accounting software, Sage FAS100 Depreciation software, CCH Prosystem Tax preparation software and many, many others in that same vain.

The business/accounting world never can/will utilize Ubuntu/Linux until these types of applications are ported to run natively on Linux O/Ss.

If you do not believe this, then just mention to the IT department the possibility of trying to switch a major accounting firm or most any other type of business to a Linux environment and see what kind of funny looks you get !!!

Thanks.
Well, people are free to make native Linux versions of any software they have the license to.

So if Quickbooks wants to make a Linux version, nothing from a technological or legal standpoint is stopping them. The only thing stopping them is themselves. They won't port it because they don't think it's worth their time and money.

If Linux gets a larger user base and that user base is perceived to be one that is willing to spend money on commercial software, then more software vendors will port their closed source commercial applications to Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
November 1st, 2008, 10:46 PM

Actually Crossover is sort of in between closed and open source, yes the main crossover tools are closed but its development goes back to wine so its sort of in between.

For me open source is optional, we will never get companies like adobe or Microsoft to go open source but at least we can get one of them (adobe) to co operate with us better.
I really wish companies like adobe would co operate with us even if they dont want to give out the source code, or companies like ATI or Nvidia to provide us with more support.
At this stage I am more in favor of applications giving linux support then becoming open source off the bat.

wpshooter
November 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM
Well, people are free to make native Linux versions of any software they have the license to.

So if Quickbooks wants to make a Linux version, nothing from a technological or legal standpoint is stopping them. The only thing stopping them is themselves. They won't port it because they don't think it's worth their time and money.

If Linux gets a larger user base and that user base is perceived to be one that is willing to spend money on commercial software, then more software vendors will port their closed source commercial applications to Linux.

Thanks for your reply.

This unfortunately is like the old chicken and eggs problem - which came first.

Ubuntu is never going to get used in a major way as an operating system until M/S compatible software applications are ported to run on it and software vendors are never go to have incentive to write their software to run on Ubuntu until a majority of the public adopts Ubuntu instead of M/S as their O/S of choice.

And around and around we go !!! Like I said, this is REALLY A SHAME.

Thanks.

SunnyRabbiera
November 1st, 2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks for your reply.

This unfortunately is like the old chicken and eggs problem - which came first.

Ubuntu is never going to get used in a major way as an operating system until M/S compatible software applications are ported to run on it and software vendors are never go to have incentive to write their software to run on Ubuntu until a majority of the public adopts Ubuntu instead of M/S as their O/S of choice.

And around and around we go !!! Like I said, this is REALLY A SHAME.

Thanks.

Well this is beginning to change, linux is starting to become a very popular platform because of the drawbacks of vista...
This is our ticket time

emshains
November 1st, 2008, 10:55 PM
I think he means, does the open source program that comes with a distro has to be able to run natively on the distro. Kind of like running firefox on wine.

Although, you can always correct me if I am wrong.

SunnyRabbiera
November 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
I think he means, does the open source program that comes with a distro has to be able to run natively on the distro. Kind of like running firefox on wine.

well it would be nice if an application ran natively, instead of on a wine frontend.

wpshooter
November 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM

Please refer back to my post #11. I mean I want to see those type of applications written so they can run natively on Ubuntu. I don't by any means mean to imply that I want these applications to be FREE. I just want them to run on Ubuntu because these are the programs that the majority of business types are used to using. I don't want to be harsh but if you think the business community of going to abandon those applications in favor of something that they are not trained on, then you are living in a dream world !!!

Thanks.

saulgoode
November 2nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
Intuit's Quickbooks is available for GNU/Linux (http://about.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_room/press_release/2007/06-13.jsp). It is not Open Source, and only their Enterprise (i.e., "server") edition is currently available.

stinger30au
November 2nd, 2008, 12:40 AM
you are free to write a closed source program for the linux/ubuntu platform and charge what ever you like for it

unfortunately many people like to beat their chests and rave on how everything thing should be free and open source cos linux is open source (well the kernel is), but they just need a little education

same as you can make your own linux distro and charge for it too, look at red hat and a few others out there

LaRoza
November 2nd, 2008, 12:48 AM

Thanks.

No. There are many proprietary enhancements to many open source apps. Look at OS X ;)

For it to be part of the distribution, it depends on the distro. Ubuntu keeps all things free to a degree. Some are more strict, and some will do anything they can.