PDA

View Full Version : If Ubuntu did not exist...

sica07
November 1st, 2008, 12:38 PM
Imagine this (only for a moment :p) a world without Ubuntu. In this world, what distro do you think that would take Ubuntu's place (the most user-friendly Linux distro)? Just curious.:)

CouchMaster
November 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
All of the above would be good.

lswest
November 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Are we allowed to re-make Ubuntu? If not then I'd go for any of the above as the previous poster said. Btw, nice signature.

jimi_hendrix
November 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
i think a more up front distro, like mandriva or suse would, but right now i would be on PClinuxOS

imbjr
November 1st, 2008, 12:55 PM
I honestly think I'd still be using XP, but fretting that one day I'd have to move over to Vista and hoping that Windows 7 would be the answer.

SunnyRabbiera
November 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM
Possibly Mepis as that is where i started, however I might be using debian pure too

Giant Speck
November 1st, 2008, 01:18 PM
Considering I started using Ubuntu because a friend was talking to me about it, I probably would have just stayed content with Windows Vista.

clb137
November 1st, 2008, 01:21 PM
Puppy linux,it just works out of the box, and that includes wireless (broadcom 43), and its really quick

Clint

Giant Speck
November 1st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Puppy linux,it just works out of the box, and that includes wireless (broadcom 43), and its really quick

Clint

This is a little off-topic, but your avatar is adorable!

lisati
November 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
I'd probably be using XP as my main OS, and probably wouldn't be aware of the distaste for Vista that I've read about in these forums. I'd also be blindly unaware that my desktop has 64-bit capabilities (which I only discovered by messing around with a 64-bit Live CD of 8.10)

eldragon
November 1st, 2008, 01:45 PM
no debian? i was going to try debian right before someone told me ubuntu was debian for dummies......

so i thought: maybe i first use ubuntu, and when i get used to it, move to debian...... now im happy here.

jakonj
November 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Deamlinux without doubt.

Peronix
November 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I would just use Arch Linux.

BenAshton24
November 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Debian! :D But my inner nerd screams gentoo :P

Chame_Wizard
November 1st, 2008, 02:51 PM
i will choose Debian with KDE.:guitar:

Grant A.
November 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
I would probably still be on Windows XP or Vista. I would have never even known about the GNU project if it wasn't for Ubuntu.

If I did somehow learn about it, however, I would probably be using OpenSuSE. As I said before, I would have never known about Arch either.

Funny how that happens when you alter one thing in time. I would have never heard about Ubuntu, therefore I would have never known about OpenSuSE/Arch eaither as a link in these forums led me to the Open Source game I help out with. And there, my friend Jaxad told me about Arch.

steveneddy
November 1st, 2008, 03:03 PM
I voted Fedora but maybe Knoppix or another distro.

But I don't think that Linux would get as much news and attention if Ubuntu weren't out there.

For some reason Ubuntu came out at the right time, had all of the good things in place and had an immediate community that kept to the rules and convictions of a world class operating system.

Timing is everything.

ZankerH
November 1st, 2008, 03:04 PM
I use Ubuntu where Debian is lacking in hardware support (namely, laptops and netbooks). If there was no Ubuntu, I'd just try harder to get Debian working on those.

How's it go again, "Ubuntu is an ancient african-american proverb, meaning 'I'm too lazy to configure Debian'" :)

stmiller
November 1st, 2008, 05:31 PM
Debian! Debian is actually very user-friendly. They have a graphical installer now, and it's pretty much Ubuntu. You can add debian multimedia to get all of the codec stuff.

Only thing is that stable releases come ever 2-3 years, if that bothers you. :)

benny bronx
November 1st, 2008, 05:38 PM
I dual boot with PCLinuxOS, so I obviously voted for it. Without Ubuntu, I would probably try out some non-kde distros with my hypothetically empty partition. DreamLinux is sounding good to me lately.

coxy
November 1st, 2008, 06:03 PM
For me it would be Debian.

vishzilla
November 1st, 2008, 06:08 PM
Debian

lukjad007
November 1st, 2008, 06:15 PM
All of the above would be good.
Not sure. I probably would never heard of Linux. If I did, probably any of the list.

cardinals_fan
November 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
I use Slackware and Arch anyway, so I imagine that would stay the same :)

chucky chuckaluck
November 1st, 2008, 06:18 PM
i switched to arch a while ago. it's far more suitable to my needs, but i learned what i needed while using ubuntu.

SomeGuyDude
November 1st, 2008, 06:25 PM
Wait, are we asking what distro would we use if Ubuntu vanished today, or if Ubuntu had never existed?

In the former case, I'd be Archin' like I am now. In the latter, I'd still be on Windows because Gutsy was the first distro that recognized my wireless and displayed the right resolution. Gave me the confidence to keep going.

ubockto
November 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Don't think I really can now that 8.10 has replaced 8.04, Samba seemed to have been fixed, though still not sharing with Vista, it is sharing with XP without the need to configure the Samba file(s)

beercz
November 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
I would still be using the same distro on my desktops/laptops I was using before the arrival of ubuntu - debian.

I still use debian on my servers.

I like debian.

Phreaker
November 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
Debian

Vince4Amy
November 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I'd choose Slackware. I use it on one of my computers and it's not as difficult as people say it is (Well it would be for someone who has never used Linux before). It's really fast and I can customise it as much as I like.

sica07
November 1st, 2008, 07:54 PM
I regret that I didn't mention Debian, Arch and Windows in the poll. There are 10 votes for Debian and 4 for Arch (till now). The 4 WinXP votes are from those who said that, if it wasn't for Ubuntu, they probably never tasted Linux. Very interesting :D

kspringer
November 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'd use MEPIS, most likely.
But I'd miss the Ubuntu community. It's answered every question before I asked

k

mfarquhar
November 1st, 2008, 09:08 PM
Debian or SuSe.

Probably SuSe first, then as I gained experience with linux move to Debian

Solicitous
November 2nd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Probably still be compiling gentoo.....nah all seriousness I would have moved from gentoo to perhaps slack or fedora had Ubuntu not been about.

Saint Angeles
November 2nd, 2008, 05:03 AM
debian

jsmidt
November 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Fedora. I really like it, but not enough to switch over from Ubuntu.

Paqman
November 2nd, 2008, 10:45 AM
PCLOS. It has a lot of good admin tools, is very hardware-friendly, and uses Synaptic.