PDA

View Full Version : Shuttleworth Bashing

justplainaqua
November 1st, 2008, 11:55 AM
Read this blog post which really peed me off http://www.happyassasin.net/2008/10/28/why-i-don't-like-canonical/

Obviously the guy has no idea of who our SABDFL is and reeks of sour grapes. I do agree that Ubuntu is a hard act to follow because of the funding model but to try and insinuate that this is bad for the GNU/Linux ecosystem as a whole is just plain dumb. Competition is a GOOD thing and the tougher the better. That's when innovation really thrives because you know that your competitors are breathing down your neck. One of GNU/Linux's weaknesses is the amount of available distros leading to way too much complication for both the average joe looking to switch and making it harder for app devs and OEM's to come on board.

IMHO it will be a good thing if some of the weaker distros fall away as this will consolidate FOSS dev talent in a more focused area.

billgoldberg
November 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM
His website is off line.

Sealbhach
November 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Seems to be up now:

http://www.happyassassin.net/2008/10/28/why-i-dont-like-canonical/

fatality_uk
November 1st, 2008, 01:42 PM
Oh well that's that then. I better remove Ubuntu from all the PC's I have every authorised to be installed on, sheesh!!!

Sealbhach
November 1st, 2008, 01:59 PM
I see his point but unfortunately for other distros, Linux needs a big distro that the wider public can feel confident to adopt. Ubuntu is meeting that need.

There will always be people who want to go their own way with their distro of choice. I don't think Ubuntu will ever take many users away from Arch, for example.

I don't think sabdfl intended to swallow up other Linux distros, he just wants to fix Ubuntu bug #1.

eragon100
November 1st, 2008, 02:02 PM
That guy is irriating, how about making "a few" comments on his blog all telling him how wrong he is?

chucky chuckaluck
November 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
he would have a point if distros depended on people buying their distro in order to survive. as they are offered free, he has no point at all.

billgoldberg
November 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
That guy is irriating, how about making "a few" comments on his blog all telling him how wrong he is?

I don't comment on such posts.

--

Mandriva sells the distro and is complaining they can't compete with free.

I see his point in that Canonical has more money, but it's an open market.

If I would have hit the jackpot as Mark has done, I would be doing the same thing he is doing.

I'm pretty sure he'll never read this, but I would like to thank Mark for Ubuntu and Canonical.

cl333r
November 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Everyone (I hope) remembers that Mandriva was arguably the most popular distro when it was fully free but started being a failure when it decided selling the distro, because of this pour decision many developers dropped it which is the worst thing can happen to a distro.
We clearly don't want such decisions inside Canonical/Ubuntu, and Mark Shuttleworth kinda guarantees it through the "Ubuntu promise". Fortunately Mark knows that for one to succeed one cannot be either fully opened or fully closed, one must apply both things as needed, rationally. One example: if you're fully open (listed on a stock exchange) you either can be bought (i.e. embraced-enhanced-extinguished by a M$-like company) or applied other well known dirty tricks to bring you down in a clever fashion, thus there must be a 'benevolent dictator' who keeps an eye on all these issues and fortunately there is one.

BGFG
November 1st, 2008, 04:40 PM
i don't comment on such posts.

--

mandriva sells the distro and is complaining they can't compete with free.

I see his point in that canonical has more money, but it's an open market.

If i would have hit the jackpot as mark has done, i would be doing the same thing he is doing.

I'm pretty sure he'll never read this, but i would like to thank mark for ubuntu and canonical.

+1 !

justplainaqua
November 3rd, 2008, 07:19 AM
I agree with what you say about Mark, he has done a lot of good in other areas as well especially in his native SA. Initiatives like the Shuttleworth Foundation and Hip2B2 promote education and the idea that science is cool. What do you say about a guy who gives his entire staff of 30 plus people a 1million bonus each, when he sold his company.

I don't think Mark will be elected Pope any time soon but he definitely believes in giving back to the community and has a sincere desire to foster the growth of FOSS. Anyone who believes otherwise is way too cynical.

karellen
November 3rd, 2008, 09:41 AM
from Mandriva's point of view, Adam is right. but us, the users, don't care about this as long we have a good product delivered (for free) to us. I like Mandriva and I can understand the threat a person like M. Shuttleworth (with his willingness to spend money with almost no hopes of getting them back) presents to the common business plan of a typical FOSS company, but... c'est la vie. you can't compete with something like ShipIt, which has done so much for the Linux community as a whole, spreading Ubuntu in all the corners of the Earth

handy
November 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Mark Shuttleworth, by bringing the world Ubuntu, is & will continue to make it even easier for people to cross over from the dark side to Linux.

New Ubuntu users with the help of the community here at the forums become used to Ubuntu & many then start to distro' hop & may find a distro' that they prefer to Ubuntu, which is fine, & obviously benefits other distro's.

Mark Shuttleworth will be remembered in history for playing a major role in the acceleration of the demise of the MS monopoly.

Mark is truly having an effect on bug #1.

So are China, Russia, India, Dell, HP, Sun, IBM. The snowball keeps rolling.

smoker
November 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
sounds like sour grapes to me, maybe he should put a wanted ad in the 'benevolent millionaires gazette' :-)

beno1990
November 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
From a for-profit company's perspective, I can see the problem Mandriva might have with Ubuntu, sure. But to be perfectly honest, I don't really care. Canonical has found a very big niche with Ubuntu, by providing a Linux distribution which is accessible to more PC users, free of charge.

As the previous poster said, it's hard to compete with something like ShipIt, but this merely reveals flaws in Mandriva's business model with the current OS market climate. Yes, I know Ubuntu is unprofitable and probably will be for quite a long time, and indeed might never be profitable. But let's face it, it could be worse; Canonical's business practices are far from Microsoft's.

I do think that Ubuntu steals at least some users from other distros, however. As a Linux user since the age of 13, I've had experience with a number of distros, most notably Fedora. While I still have a machine running Fedora in my house, my servers and laptop are all Ubuntu now, and my next desktop machine (which will replace the machine running on Fedora) will probably be Ubuntu. However, that just shows what Ubuntu is doing right and what other distros are doing wrong, and for me it's the fact that Fedora moves too quickly and I've had a few bad experiences with the bleeding edge side of Fedora which I don't want to repeat (I know that's the point of Fedora but personally I'm not too keen on it).

Canonical / Ubuntu is spearheading GNU / Linux and other F/OSS software into the mainstream, and Mandriva failed to do that, unfortunately, so to complain about it is of course, stupid from a user's perspective but the whining which any for-profit company would do.

I appreciate the work, money, and resources which Mark Shuttleworth puts into Canonical / Ubuntu, and I thank him for doing so. I'm going to continue supporting Ubuntu in my own limited-cash ways, such as buying little bits of merchandise from the shops when I can. It gets me a few "nerd" jibes from my friends when I wear an Ubuntu t-shirt but hey, what the hell. :D

t0p
November 3rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
How disappointing! When I saw the title "Shuttleworth Bashing", I thought the thread would be a series of insults, or even a discussion of the pros and cons of assaulting the man.

Anyway, here's my contribution: Why did he incorporate Canonical in the Isle of Man, eh? Got some kind of allergy to paying taxes? Grrr, money-grubbing benevolent person...

ibutho
November 3rd, 2008, 12:57 PM
I don't comment on such posts.

--

Mandriva sells the distro and is complaining they can't compete with free.

I see his point in that Canonical has more money, but it's an open market.

If I would have hit the jackpot as Mark has done, I would be doing the same thing he is doing.

I'm pretty sure he'll never read this, but I would like to thank Mark for Ubuntu and Canonical.

You can get most versions of Mandriva for free, so in a way they are competing with Ubuntu. If I am correct, only the powerpack version and server versions are "sold" or require some sort of subscription.

I personally agree with some of the points the guy posted, but I guess the way he presented his views makes it seem as if he is flaming Shuttleworth and Ubuntu. Many distro maintainers dislike Canonical/Ubuntu because they simply cannot compete with the Canonical/Ubuntu model. Most distro maintainers cannot afford to ship millions of discs for free. They cannot afford to invest millions into a company thats not making a profit, but Shuttleworth and Ubuntu can. Its kind of like a blessing and a curse for Shuttleworth because I think his intentions are good, but there will always be some people that think that he is just using his money to virally promote Ubuntu at the expense of other distros.

justplainaqua
November 3rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
How disappointing! When I saw the title "Shuttleworth Bashing", I thought the thread would be a series of insults, or even a discussion of the pros and cons of assaulting the man.

Anyway, here's my contribution: Why did he incorporate Canonical in the Isle of Man, eh? Got some kind of allergy to paying taxes? Grrr, money-grubbing benevolent person...

I hear you, but benevolent doesn't mean stoopid. He didn't get where he is by being a crappy businessman. There's also the small matter of legal jurisdiction, p'raps strategically chose the location.