PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Style Window Docking

lucasl
November 1st, 2008, 03:02 AM
Hi,
Just read this article (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081030-more-on-the-windows-7-ui-new-taskbar-will-be-mandatory.html) on Windows 7. If you scroll down and watch the video, you can see how Window 'docking' will work.
Basically, if you drag a unmaximized window to the left or right of the screen, it fills half the screen on that side. If you go to the top, it maximises.
This would be really helpful to those with widescreen monitors and I wouldn't think it would be too hard to implement in Compiz. In fact, you can already maximise a window in this way, but only if it was already maximised and you drag the border from the top to unmaximise, then in the same mouse press drag it back to the top.

What are your thoughts on this?

EDIT:
Made a brainstorm idea (http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/15080/).

talsemgeest
November 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM
I think it would be brilliant, it would help me out quite a lot. Lets see if we can beat Windows too it eh?

Bölvağur
November 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
There was another thread about this which ended by an admin... thread closed.
So yeah...

I don't think much of this as these are just old news painted in different shade of the same colour. I find the compiz team making more effort imo. But yes.. I guess this is nice in a way.

lucasl
November 1st, 2008, 03:15 AM
There was another thread about this which ended by an admin... thread closed.

Closed why?
Surely not because it's 'copying' Windows?? I thought operating systems had finally given up the pretence that they never use each other's ideas. :P

Bölvağur
November 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM
nah it was because some users began talk about windows taking ideas from other sources and claim it is their idea from the beginning. And then it turned into 2 guys going at each other.
I think having any connection to MS about something like this will have higher potentials of turning into flamewar. So be cautious what words you use when you talk about MS.. more references about the product or features and less saying it is found in windows or made my MS will possible decrease negative posts :KS

Giant Speck
November 1st, 2008, 04:14 AM
Closed why?
Surely not because it's 'copying' Windows?? I thought operating systems had finally given up the pretence that they never use each other's ideas. :P

People seem to think that every Windows innovation is stolen from other operating systems. The discussion always erupts into a flame war of accusations and therefore ends up being closed by an administrator.