PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Will buying a new cam help?

bark50
November 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
I have an old Creative webcam Pro Ex V4L1 that works in Camorama, Ekiga, Kopete, and Gyache. When I use the latter two programs to go cam-to-cam with someone, I can see them, I can see myself in a separate video window, but they cannot see me – they just get a blank video screen. I've been unsuccessful getting the problem solved through the forums. Now I'm wondering if getting a new cam might help. Any thoughts on this? This one problem is what keeps me chained to a Windows partition. I'm running 8.04. Thanks.

aeiah
November 1st, 2008, 01:14 AM
if you can find a model that works out of the box and you're prepared to pay money for it then sure, why not, buy a new cam. it doesnt seem like a problem with the cam per se though to be honest, since it works in every other situation. have you tried it with any other linux distro or ubuntu version? is there anything that needs upgrading on your system (i wouldnt just dive in and upgrade to 8.10 though if you otherwise enjoy the stability of 8.04)

bark50
November 1st, 2008, 02:54 AM
Thanks for your thoughts, aeiah. I had the same problem in Ubuntu 7.10; I haven't tried any other distros. The expense of a new cam isn't a big deal, although in reading through the posts of the troubles others have had in getting their cams to work at all, I don't relish the idea of repeatedly buying a new cam, then returning it because it doesn't work. But I'm willing to try if it means I can ditch the Windows' partition.

Yeah, and after reading the posts on folk's upgrade problems, I'm sure not anxious to “graduate” to 8.10.

Melindrea
November 1st, 2008, 03:46 AM
I don't know if this will be any help, but i have a QuickCam Pro 5000 (Logitech) that worked out of the box on Linux. Don't know if you can get a hold of that nowadays, but... It at least works fine in Skype.

forkandles
November 24th, 2008, 12:08 AM
My experiences here may be of use to you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990057&highlight=experiences+8.10+skype+vision+pro