PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help, Please!

sherri
October 31st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ok. I am totally new to any operating system other than Windows. I have installed the Ubuntu (I think....). On my desktop, there is an icon for something that says: Ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386 Type ISO file.

Now what? When I click on it, I get the message that Windows can't open it...I tried installing it directly, and earlier with WUBI...

I am completely lost, and my Windows is on it's last legs...tried restarting pc...Any help for dummies? Totally lost!

jonnyrockets
October 31st, 2008, 06:38 PM
hi sherri,

what you have downloaded is an iso , or image file. think of it as one big file that contains all of the ubuntu information for an install.

when you install ubuntu, you are changing your OS (operating system). you would be using ubuntu instead of windows. (there are options to install within windows, but this can get complex).

to try out your linux distribution, you need to burn that iso image file to a cd. this must be done in a specific way - you must use an option within your burning program such as "burn image to disk" or "burn disk image".

once this is completed, you put the cd in your cdrom drive, and reboot your computer.

hopefully, your computer will automatically boot off of the live-cd. if it doesn't, you need to change your boot priority to boot off of the cdrom drive before it boots the hard drive.

sherri
November 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
hi sherri,

what you have downloaded is an iso , or image file. think of it as one big file that contains all of the ubuntu information for an install.

when you install ubuntu, you are changing your OS (operating system). you would be using ubuntu instead of windows. (there are options to install within windows, but this can get complex).

to try out your linux distribution, you need to burn that iso image file to a cd. this must be done in a specific way - you must use an option within your burning program such as "burn image to disk" or "burn disk image".

once this is completed, you put the cd in your cdrom drive, and reboot your computer.

hopefully, your computer will automatically boot off of the live-cd. if it doesn't, you need to change your boot priority to boot off of the cdrom drive before it boots the hard drive.

Thank you for your help. Evidently, my computer will not boot off the live cd. How do I change the boot priority to boot off thr cdrom drive? F8 doesn't give me this choice. When I click F10 (which says "boot options"), I have tried "clicking" on every choice there.

I am doing something wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated!:confused:

dark_phantom
November 1st, 2008, 04:23 AM
Download the wubi installer from here http://wubi-installer.org/index.php. Then, run it in Windows and follow the instructions from here http://wubi-installer.org/index.php.

Edit:
Forgot to say that either F10 or F12 will give you the boot options for HP or Dell respectively, not sure about other manufacturers.

sherri
November 1st, 2008, 04:27 PM
Download the wubi installer from here http://wubi-installer.org/index.php. Then, run it in Windows and follow the instructions from here http://wubi-installer.org/index.php.

Edit:
Forgot to say that either F10 or F12 will give you the boot options for HP or Dell respectively, not sure about other manufacturers.

I had originally tried installing it through Wubi (reccommended by a phone forum I am involved in...) Got most of the way done, and then it froze and said not completed. Am trying again. I got the pc to the boot mode with F10, and also the BIOS settings with F2. Chose it to install from CD, but it isn't working...If I can't get this UBUNTU to work, I will either have to buy a replacement disc for Windows XP Home (E-machines never provided, and I can't get any help now!)or buy a new PC...

sherri
November 1st, 2008, 05:53 PM
Tried again, and the "top bar" that says "checking installation files" never gets past half way. The bottom bar gets all the way through (about 15-20 minutes). Then it says" checksums. And it starts again!

Tried dl an older version, same thing. Tried dl from cnet, same thing...Burned the ISO to a disk.

Disk doesn't automatically launch. Shows files on the disk. Downloaded ISOBUSTER to open disk, because Windows couldn't read iso file.

When I double click in the disk icon, it opens in ISOBUSTERs, I see 4 icons (that can each be expanded). 1st one says ISO Ubuntu 8.10i386/2nd one says RR Ubuntu 8.10i386/3rd one has an icon for a "floppy" disk and says "Bootable Disk"/Last one just has 3 arrows and says Ubuntu 8.10i386

Now what? I am so lost...

sherri
November 3rd, 2008, 04:05 PM
BUMP...

Any help on this?

steveneddy
November 4th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Check out this link. Hopefully it will help you.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

There are other links in my sig that should help you understand Ubuntu and how to use this new OS.

Good luck.

And don't forget that when you burn an .iso CD that you burn it at a slow rate like 4X or slower.