PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu is NOT getting slower!

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 06:38 AM
I've been convinced(more or less) that this a general problem now(or am I just a lucky one?).
Now I'd choose "Ubuntu is still fast" or something like that to be the thread's title.

Greetings

Well, as some of you may have noticed recently we have many "Is Ubuntu getting slower?" and such threads. However most of us claim, including me, that Ubuntu is fast, reliable and so on.

I don't say that nobody has problems, there ARE problems, but not in general. So we can't speak about the entire system(Ubuntu) is worsening. And what do we colerate it to? Problems were, are and will be. I can only see that the problem is not the same at different releases of Ubuntu. For example: in Feisty I used to fight with my graphics driver, in Gutsy the extra wheel of my mouse and my audio card, in Hardy the Pulse audio. But I managed to solve them, with the help of this wonderful community.

I believe that the performance of Ubuntu(and many other OS), can't be determinated by one or two tests. On the other hand if the current release is really a bit weaker in something, I'm sure there are things that got better. Maybe that's not speed, but hardware support or bugfixes.

Anyway, Ubuntu is developed by people who use it, so they really want it to be the best. In other words those kinds of threads are no use to anybody. Preferably to submit a bug if the problem really exists. Of course I admit that bechmarks and statistics are exciting and everybody loves them, but seriously we don't have much benefit from them.

Comments, ideas?

Regards, Amazona aestiva

EdThaSlayer
October 31st, 2008, 06:42 AM
With me Kubuntu 8.10 runs very nicely, compared to the days when I still used the previous version(yesterday...) I couldn't even copy 100 gb while watching a movie for example. :) So for me it has become far more responsive, and a little bit faster.Remember, those statistics could be a bit biased, and they usually use very outdated computers.

SunnyRabbiera
October 31st, 2008, 07:08 AM
For me both Ibex and Hardy have been the fastest on this computer and on a older machine with only 256MB of RAM, both seem to be able to boot hardy and Ibex at good decent speeds

swisscow
October 31st, 2008, 08:11 AM
There was an article I read the other day on Phoronix which benchmarked the last few releases, in some areas Ubuntu is getting slower.

Haven't read it all, 10 pages (good grief!) but if you are interested, here's a link to the last page:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=10

eternalnewbee
October 31st, 2008, 08:29 AM
Ubuntu is NOT getting slower!
Greetings

Well, as some of you may have noticed recently we have many "Is Ubuntu getting slower?" and such threads. However most of us claim, including me, that Ubuntu is fast, reliable and so on.

I don't say that nobody has problems, there ARE problems, but not in general. So we can't speak about the entire system(Ubuntu) is worsening. And what do we colerate it to? Problems were, are and will be. I can only see that the problem is not the same at different releases of Ubuntu. For example: in Feisty I used to fight with my graphics driver, in Gutsy the extra wheel of my mouse and my audio card, in Hardy the Pulse audio. But I managed to solve them, with the help of this wonderful community.

I believe that the performance of Ubuntu(and many other OS), can't be determinated by one or two tests. On the other hand if the current release is really a bit weaker in something, I'm sure there are things that got better. Maybe that's not speed, but hardware support or bugfixes.

Anyway, Ubuntu is developed by people who use it, so they really want it to be the best. In other words those kinds of threads are no use to anybody. Preferably to submit a bug if the problem really exists. Of course I admit that bechmarks and statistics are exciting and everybody loves them, but seriously we don't have much benefit from them.

Comments, ideas?

Regards, Amazona aestiva

DanTheFlyingMan
October 31st, 2008, 08:55 AM
What are you basing "Ubuntu is NOT getting slower" on? There are several benchmarks that demonstrate that it is indeed getting slower. And why do you think benchmarks and statistics are of no benefit? They show what areas are suffering performance-wise, giving the developers a chance to fix things with the next release.

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 08:59 AM
There was an article I read the other day on Phoronix which benchmarked the last few releases, in some areas Ubuntu is getting slower.

Haven't read it all, 10 pages (good grief!) but if you are interested, here's a link to the last page:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=10

I've seen that article, but I don't experience it. So I see two ways: Whether they made mistakes during the tests or this slow Ubuntu boots up in 12 seconds for me. It's good from a slow OS, isn't it? How long would it take if it was fast?

Regards

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 08:59 AM
What are you basing "Ubuntu is NOT getting slower" on? There are several benchmarks that demonstrate that it is indeed getting slower. And why do you think benchmarks and statistics are of no benefit? They show what areas are suffering performance-wise, giving the developers a chance to fix things with the next release.

My own experiance claims the opposite.

And I think it's good that they point out these issues, but I've been reading nothing but this recently.

These results are bloated too much I think.

Regards

Giant Speck
October 31st, 2008, 09:04 AM

And I think it's good that they point out these issues, but I've been reading nothing but this recently.

Yes, but your own experience does not represent the experiences of every Ubuntu user. Just because your experience contradicts the statistics does not mean that those statistics are false.

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
Yes, but your own experience does not represent the experiences of every Ubuntu user. Just because your experience contradicts the statistics does not mean that those statistics are false.

Of course but as I wrote "I don't say that nobody has problems, there ARE problems, but not in general.".
See I maintain 3 computers at home they are perfect and my friends don't have any slowness problems either. That's about 13 computers, all with different hardware. So this problem is far not general from my point of view.

Regards

DanTheFlyingMan
October 31st, 2008, 09:22 AM

These results are bloated too much I think.

Regards

What is your experience? Did you make your own benchmarks or does it just "feel" faster?

ashmew2
October 31st, 2008, 09:27 AM
ubuntu is not getting slower!
Greetings

well, as some of you may have noticed recently we have many "is ubuntu getting slower?" and such threads. However most of us claim, including me, that ubuntu is fast, reliable and so on.

I don't say that nobody has problems, there are problems, but not in general. So we can't speak about the entire system(ubuntu) is worsening. And what do we colerate it to? Problems were, are and will be. I can only see that the problem is not the same at different releases of ubuntu. For example: In feisty i used to fight with my graphics driver, in gutsy the extra wheel of my mouse and my audio card, in hardy the pulse audio. But i managed to solve them, with the help of this wonderful community.

I believe that the performance of ubuntu(and many other os), can't be determinated by one or two tests. On the other hand if the current release is really a bit weaker in something, i'm sure there are things that got better. Maybe that's not speed, but hardware support or bugfixes.

Anyway, ubuntu is developed by people who use it, so they really want it to be the best. In other words those kinds of threads are no use to anybody. Preferably to submit a bug if the problem really exists. Of course i admit that bechmarks and statistics are exciting and everybody loves them, but seriously we don't have much benefit from them.

Comments, ideas?

Regards, amazona aestiva

+1 here.

+1

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 09:28 AM
What is your experience? Did you make your own benchmarks or does it just "feel" faster?

Well fast means to do something in a shorter period of time. If you call it bechmark, I used a timer. The result: Feisty booted in 20-23 secs, but Hardy boots in 12-15 secs. (Same hardware)

maniac_X
October 31st, 2008, 09:33 AM
Of course but as I wrote "I don't say that nobody has problems, there ARE problems, but not in general.".
See I maintain 3 computers at home they are perfect and my friends don't have any slowness problems either. That's about 13 computers, all with different hardware. So this problem is far not general from my point of view.

Regards

That's still a very biased opinion. Of those 13 computers you mention, what programs are you running and how are you gathering/comparing data generated?? You can't just make assumptions based on "eye-balling". Data and facts carry much weight.

I can go out to my local highway and say that cars are not speeding but until I get ou the radar gun and give hard data, it really means nothing. And that's what people like Phronix do. They get out the radar gun and do same tests across different versions and produce hard data. And as was mentioned by Giant Speck, that data becomes very valuable to developers that do want to make improvements.

Another well known example:
Remember too, Microsoft proclaimed that Vista was better than XP performance-wise when first released. Some claimed this to be true but MANY did not agree. Data was generated via benchmarks that showed it. It is one of the reasons Vista was not as readily adopted as Microsoft had hoped.

I think the more correct title for your thread should be
"Ubuntu is NOT getting slower!...for me and my friends."

phrostbyte
October 31st, 2008, 09:36 AM
Well to be perfectly honest I think it's getting slower and using more RAM then it did one year ago. I don't really care though, it's fast enough for me.

DanTheFlyingMan
October 31st, 2008, 09:42 AM
Well fast means to do something in a shorter period of time. If you call it bechmark, I used a timer. The result: Feisty booted in 20-23 secs, but Hardy boots in 12-15 secs. (Same hardware)

Yes, boot time seems to have improved, but that doesn't mean that the speed of everything has improved.

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 09:44 AM
Well I see those points, but it's still much faster than Windows was for me.
I see I choose a bad title to the topic.
I wanted to tell something like Ubuntu is still very fast, or at least not much slower than it was.

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM
... And as was mentioned by Giant Speck, that data becomes very valuable to developers that do want to make improvements.

I know that and I referred that in the thread. Not so straight, but I'm fully aware of that.

Giant Speck
October 31st, 2008, 10:02 AM

I think that is why you feel the way you do.

Ubuntu may be slower in general, but the slowdown is less noticeable for users who switched to Ubuntu because of speed issues with other operating systems or distros.

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Well then...

I've been convinced(more or less) that this is a general problem now(or am I just a lucky one?).

Anyway there is no reason for this thread to be anymore. (in my point of view)

Happy days with Ubuntu!:)

Regards, Amazona aestiva

maniac_X
October 31st, 2008, 10:15 AM
I see I choose a bad title to the topic.
I wanted to tell something like Ubuntu is still very fast, or at least not much slower than it was.

No one can fault you for being excited about Ubuntu. Many of us are excited about Ubuntu as well or we wouldn't be here and Ubuntu wouldn't be as popular as it is, growing in that popularity every release. :popcorn: The future of Ubuntu and linux in general looks pretty good from where i'm standing and i'm glad for it all. :)

Amazona aestiva
October 31st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Well, yeah.:)

nrs
October 31st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Making a hasty generalization based on anecdotal evidence will only prove damaging. Opinions and feelings are no match in the face of evidence, it's better to stick to some semblance of the scientific method.

I believe the case has been made that something is seriously wrong, and unless there is actual evidence to the contrary ...