PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] What is the Kubuntu DVD?

Velvet Ghost
October 31st, 2008, 03:15 AM
It appears that Kubuntu 8.10 is available both on CD and DVD, both in 32 & 64 bit versions. The DVD iso is larger. Does it contain extra software / goodies compared to the CD version? Thanks in advance.

Velvet Ghost
October 31st, 2008, 12:49 PM
Not a single reply?

Velvet Ghost
November 1st, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hmm... I must confess that although I've posted in many forums, and often helped others in my areas of expertise, I've never seen something quite like this. Of course, nobody HAS to reply, but I wouldn't have expected this of the famed Ubuntu community.

Genius314
November 1st, 2008, 05:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it just has more programs and stuff packed into it.
There's a bunch of reasons for this:
-Some people only use the Live CD, and the DVD version gives them more features.
-Some people have slow internet connections (or none at all), so they order the DVD, or download it off another computer, so they can install extra things from the DVD, rather than repositories.
-I'm sure there's others...

If you're installing it, you probably can just use the CD, since everything on the DVD is also available in the repositories. :)

SunnyRabbiera
November 1st, 2008, 05:45 AM
Hmm... I must confess that although I've posted in many forums, and often helped others in my areas of expertise, I've never seen something quite like this. Of course, nobody HAS to reply, but I wouldn't have expected this of the famed Ubuntu community.

well this is the ubuntu forum and not the kubuntu one, so no wonder.
I dont use Kubuntu, nor will I use it until KDE4 is where i need it to be.