PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it necessary to have two distrib updates per year?

Matoridi
October 31st, 2008, 01:25 AM
Hi

I just upgraded from Hardy to Ibex on two computers and found that it created more problems than it was worth : no access to network share, problems with video cards and 3D accel., with flash plugin, etc.

Upgrading from Gutsy to Hardy was never as complicated. I'm going to revert back to Hardy, which worked pretty well on our four computers, since I don't have time to chase around for all the solutions to these new problems.

However, I wonder : why should Canonical launch two upgrades per year, and thus lack time to test and prepare things properly? You know, as Microsnot takes more than three years for each incarnation of their crappy OS, I would think one annual upgrade for Ubuntu would be more than enough, don't you think?

anjilslaire
October 31st, 2008, 01:32 AM
Ubuntu offers a LTS release every 18 months, I believe.Good for several years' worth of updates. The 6 month schedule allows us to have the latest & greatest.

If you want stability, stick with Hardy or even Debian which has a long release cycle.

Matoridi
October 31st, 2008, 01:44 AM
Well you're right, I can stick to LTS release if I want stability. But up to now, I was upgrading with no big problems.

In this case (Ibex) I see no real improvement, the "new" being all those things that do not work anymore. And this does suggest to me that Canonical has not the resources to be able to release well tested upgrades that works for the everyday man.

Of course, if you're really computer-literate these are small problems for you. But releases like that will do nothing to bring ordinary people in the linux community.

BTW, if you're computer-literate, why would would you need so many releases per year? After all, you can install new software by yourself with synaptic, apt-get, or even by downloading binaries or source from other repositories than those maintained by Canonical, right?

Ng Oon-Ee
October 31st, 2008, 04:16 AM
I read somewhere that even Linus Torvalds selects a distro of some sort to install, then changes what he needs.

Even if you're capable of 'manually' handling things (tarballs, makes and compiles and the like), one of the big advantages of distros like Ubuntu is that they do all the basics for you, working kernel with a working DE and a whole bunch of commonly used apps.

And I haven't really had problems with Ibex so far (late adopter, though, from the RC, and I didn't do an upgrade, just reinstalled fresh but with the same home directory). It still saves my settings, mostly, and those are what I'm after. The few things that aren't saved I can always redo myself, since I did them in the first place =).

Sef
October 31st, 2008, 04:42 AM
Ubuntu offers a LTS release every 18 months, I believe

It's every 2 years now.

BTW, if you're computer-literate, why would would you need so many releases per year?

The updates are trial runs for the next LTS.

nibirumarduk
October 31st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Matoridi, while I may not agree with you on having only one major release a year, I don't think having a 2-releases per year policy is the problem, something else is (see below for more), I do agree with the what I think was the motivation for your suggestion i.e. buggy dist-upgrades. I have run into problems as a consequence of this also i.e. see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=962240

There just has to be a way to make dist-upgrades a smoother affair for most if not everyone. Like you have mentioned, gutsy to hardy shows it can done. That dist-upgrade was essentially a plain sailing affair unlike this hardy to intrepid one. Like it or not, that would be the benchmark Ubuntu would be judged on. Even on Debian, dist-upgrades and I've gone through several of them e.g. Potato to Woody, Woody to Sarge and from Sarge to Etch were less painful or tedious affairs. While not meaning to be mean to anyone (e.g. the unemployed and retirees), not everyone has that kind of time to hunt down reasons for a failed or buggy dist-upgrade. Of course I understand the saying if "I don't like it, I can move on, nobody is forcing me to stay" (but you guys are free to suggest as such if you so desire, that just goes to show the distro up to be nothing more than a bunch of fanboys/fanboys i.e. Ubuntu is perfect, all your problems are but a figment of your own imagination, LOSER!; or are suffering from but the very same disease that Nixon and his his Administration were accused of i.e. groupthink), I may just do that but all I ask is for whoever it matters to take it the right way i.e. plan for a less troublefree dist-upgrade experience as it is humanly possible not for one release but every release. Or am I asking for the impossible here? *sigh*

Over the last few days, I have seen so many a frustrated user with issues like those I faces e.g. non functioning keys and keyboard shortcuts not working after doing the distro upgrade here in this forum, the LQ forum and on #ubuntu+1 channel on freenode as well. And while I'm on the subject of #ubuntu+1, the devs, motus and what have you in the #ubuntu+1 seems to be preoccupied or were more interested with petty quarrels you over e.g. if openoffice 3 should be in Intrepid or not, exchanging vulgar pleasantries, etc., than requests to even look at any issues. I could be wrong but I don't recall the role and function of #ubuntu+1 to be one of being a hangout for frivolous entertainment and/or childish bickering. I thought it was supposed to be a support channel for the testing distro but I was sadly proven wrong.

Matoridi
October 31st, 2008, 04:58 AM
The updates are trial runs for the next LTS.

Well they are trial runs all right, now I have to reinstall 8.04 ! :(

Anyway... I guess I should have waited a bit more. But usually, I do the upgrades as soon as they are on, and I have only small things to fix...

And note that I am computer-literate, although not working in the field. I have worked in a unix environment among other experiences... so I am used to having config files to write in, packages to install, sometimes to compile...

This time, the problems are a bit more complicated. (well for me)

*sigh*

Matoridi
October 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
Thanks Nibirumarduk (interesting alias, BTW), I think you found the true nature of the problem here, with this problematic upgrade...

I'm gonna try installing from scracth, hoping everything works well...

Regards

nibirumarduk
October 31st, 2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks Nibirumarduk (interesting alias, BTW), I think you found the true nature of the problem here, with this problematic upgrade...

I'm gonna try installing from scracth, hoping everything works well...

Regards

I'm glad ( or should I be? ;) ) that you found my reply useful and agree with the problem diagnosis. Was really an outpouring of angst. I'm a few steps behind you, have only just finished downloading the Intrepid iso and burning to CD at the moment. Guess I'll have to do a fresh install also as nobody here or anywhere else seems to know the solution to the issues I have. *sigh* :( Fingers crossed. Good luck to you too.