PDA

View Full Version : Why is there less interest in 8.10 Ibex?

Mazza558
October 30th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Compared to Hardy, the amount of hype/attention given to Intrepid is disappointing compared to Hardy. It's the best since Feisty (and certainly better than Hardy), but the digg story barely has 600 Diggs, and we're nowhere near breaking the "most users" record set by Hardy in April.

What caused this?

estyles
October 30th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I'm assuming it's because a lot of people like Hardy and/or don't have many problems with it. Also, the highly publicized features of Intrepid aren't all that impressive to me, and presumably to some others. I *will* be trying Intrepid, but not because of any features, just because I hope there are some bug fixes, specifically in PulseAudio, that didn't receive much publicity.

overdrank
October 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Compared to Hardy, the amount of hype/attention given to Intrepid is disappointing compared to Hardy. It's the best since Feisty (and certainly better than Hardy), but the digg story barely has 600 Diggs, and we're nowhere near breaking the "most users" record set by Hardy in April.

What caused this?

I believe it has to do with LTS. Hardy is great for me and has been. Sometimes being on the cutting edge gets tiresome. :)

corney91
October 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
It does seem that way but maybe it's because, experiencing the hype of hardy, has heightened the expectations of attention. Also hardy was an LTS, which could've added hype...

Ozor Mox
October 30th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I remember when Hardy was released and people were saying that there was much less interest and hype in it compared to Gutsy...

Canis familiaris
October 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Maybe because it's not LTS.

Mazza558
October 30th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Here's the Digg article on Hardy Heron's release:

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Ubuntu_Hardy_Heron_Released

5075 Diggs. We have just over 700 now.

LaRoza
October 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I believe it has to do with LTS. Hardy is great for me and has been. Sometimes being on the cutting edge gets tiresome. :)

+1 But I am still going to upgrade. I must upgrade...

klange
October 30th, 2008, 08:12 PM
There isn't a very big feature list compared to what was improved in Hardy, and especially when looking forward to everything that should be coming with Jaunty.

Polygon
October 30th, 2008, 08:14 PM
cause honestly the features are not that interesting compared to other releases. New kernel...most people dont know/care, a new fast user switch applet which is highly annoying and looks ugly, no new theme, a guest accoutn which the majority of people don't need, and some others tuff

just saying that there wasnt much to look forward to

kevdog
October 30th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Me.....must......try......new.....edition.

Life gets boring with the same old stuff!

Vince4Amy
October 30th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I've tried Ubuntu Intrepid today from the http servers and the download was very fast (Usually it will be really slow on release day). I'm happy with the stability and the fact that my ATI Card is working properly with the new version of X.

However I haven't found anything completely different to what was already available in Hardy which is understandable for returning users. However because I like to try new things and tweak my system I'm currently downloading the new version of Kubuntu.

Also I was expecting OpenOffice 3.0 in this release I thought it was going to be included? It doesn't matter though because I simply uninstalled the 2.4 files (apart from some language packs) and I installed the deb version from the Open Office website with no problems.

Het Irv
October 30th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Gutsy had the biggest hype since I have been on the forums, and alot of Hardy's hype was a carry over from Gutsy. People were expecting just as radical changes in Hardy as there were in Gutsy, but Hardy and Intrepid have both had most of their changes happen "under-the-hood". Gutsy really seemed to be the final stage of developing what is Ubuntu's "look" any UI changes now are because of changes in GNOME or other upstream changes. The more UI changes the more hype you are going to have.

itisbasi
October 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Me.....must......try......new.....edition.

Life gets boring with the same old stuff!

I second that....

Calmatory
October 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The jump from Gutsy to Hardy was way greater than from Hardy to Intrepid. Besides, LTS is "da word". :)

marcusklaas
October 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Well yea only thing I can think of is that because Hardy kind of sucked tbfh that people started thinking liek omfg Ubuntu sux. Personally I think Ibex is WAY ******* better than Hardy. Holy crap yes. It just blows my mind how good it is now. Man, everything that used to be ****** about Hardy is fixed now. EVERYTHING! It's faster, and everything just works better somehow. All software got better with **** that should've been there in the first place. Hell ye, this is what I'm talking about. Respect 2 developers. This is first Ubuntu that is really ready to rock yo world.

Swarms
October 30th, 2008, 08:42 PM
No jawdropping new features.

Not that I care though, I like the system very much and have faith that its popularity will only rise.

Ub1476
October 30th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I agree that UI changes is the hype. Ubuntu will probably get mostly under the hood stuff until the next LTS is out - which will bring us Gnome 3.

Tomosaur
October 30th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I'm downloading Intrepid now. Hardy has been good for me, but there are a few things which annoy me. Sometimes it won't shut down - hibernate doesn't work (no big surprise there!), and ******* tabless nautilus does my head in. I'm hoping Intrepid will solve a few of these!

_sAm_
October 30th, 2008, 09:00 PM
This is the best release for laptops(subnotebook/netbooknetops) ever.
I am thinking of better networking, 3G support, private folder, fast user switch applet, support for Intel Atom and SSD, better support for small screens, webcams and so on. And even though netboks(like Asus Ee something), is extremely popular around the world these days, its dos not look like most people think of this. Like they need something new gui before they get interested. I don't think most care at all about LTS or not.

For me; a new release with only bug fixes would do fine, and so far I love this 8.10.

Sry my English.

bigbrovar
October 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Gutsy had the biggest hype since I have been on the forums, and alot of Hardy's hype was a carry over from Gutsy. People were expecting just as radical changes in Hardy as there were in Gutsy, but Hardy and Intrepid have both had most of their changes happen "under-the-hood". Gutsy really seemed to be the final stage of developing what is Ubuntu's "look" any UI changes now are because of changes in GNOME or other upstream changes. The more UI changes the more hype you are going to have.
Completely agree with u on that one... still remember the release day for gutsy .. it was crazy. i mean even the official release thread was hard to keep up with. to add to the excitement the official release was delayed i downloaded mine using a link that was provided in the forum. however for all the promise gutsy was very unstable ( not windows unstable) for me . there were lots of bugs .. (many of which were ironed out during the life time of the release) i think why the gutsy release was so popular was becasue it would be the first time Ubuntu would be shipping with compiz fusion preinstalled. for those of us who have had to go through setuping compiz/beryl in the the feisty days. it was a huge leap. forward

keiichidono
October 30th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I'll answer your question with a question. Where the **** is the new theme we're supposed to be getting?

Nostalos
October 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Think part of it is that Interpid has focused more on the laptop/portable area. I use both my laptop and my desktop in unison in my work daily. I couldnt live without Ibex on the laptop. As for the desktop I can honestly say there is not reason for me personally to upgrade it to Intrepid.

hkgonra
October 30th, 2008, 09:24 PM
I am downloading torrent now and it is very slow.
I assumed torrent would be the faster way to get it.

SomeGuyDude
October 30th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Gutsy (and to a lesser extent Hardy) seemed to be Ubuntu's "breakthrough" period. By now Ubuntu's kinda old news, people are aware of it. I got the impression that Hardy was gaining interest among a whole lot of non-Linux users (particularly since that was when we started finding it pre-packaged on Dells), and this time around it's just a new release.

When Gutsy hit, and I suppose Hardy too, Ubuntu was almost a "new OS". Now it ain't.

Tux Aubrey
October 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Personally, I found Hardy a great disappointment. Lots of important things (like networking) were broken for me until 8.04.1 (which is great). That experience put me right off the new release thing and I will wait for at least a few weeks to upgrade.

That said, I'll still download the release iso and run it in a VM. I can't go entirely cold turkey on shiny new things.

keiichidono
October 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
That said, I'll still download the release iso and run it in a VM. I can't go entirely cold turkey on shiny new things.
The same for me, even though I'm irritated about them skipping out on the theme.

But *****, it's so much better than Hardy. The people should know about this shizzle, fo real dawg.
I don't know what neighborhood you live in but even where I live in Miami this way of speaking isn't very accepted or popular. If you can, I'd like it if you change it to proper English.

wolfen69
October 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I am downloading torrent now and it is very slow.
I assumed torrent would be the faster way to get it.
for me, the torrent was going too fast. (just finished it) i had to throttle it down so i could surf.

BGFG
October 30th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I think less percieved hype is a compliment to the devs. Not as many persons are eagerly awaiting bug fixes or interface improvements. Hardy 'Just works' for the masses.
Maybe 9.10 or 10.04 will have earth shattering stuff. Either way, Ubuntu is on a 6 month update cycle and so am I....

niccholaspage
October 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I had to do a clean install. No upgrades. Why?
Ubuntu 8.10 finally has out of the box support for the Realtek RT8187B wireless adapter USB in my laptop! Installing right now.

Knacker
October 30th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'll answer your question with a question. Where the **** is the new theme we're supposed to be getting?

yup.

has anyone in the world looked at a screen shot of 8.10 and been in any way excited by what they see? except for maybe noticing the new tabs in nautilus, i expect that few people thought anything about screenshots except...i wonder whose idea the carrot-poop pallet was anyway?

for my part, i'm waiting for the next mint to upgrade. why the world's most popular distro has to remain the world's ugliest is beyond me.

cardinals_fan
October 30th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Ibex is the first release since Dapper Drake that I won't try. My Ubuntu partition (on my secondary box) runs Dapper, and will continue to do so until end-of-life next year, when I'll wipe Ubuntu completely and give NetBSD the whole hard drive.

To put it simply, Ibex offers me nothing.

Nano Geek
October 30th, 2008, 11:20 PM
yup.

has anyone in the world looked at a screen shot of 8.10 and been in any way excited by what they see? except for maybe noticing the new tabs in nautilus, i expect that few people thought anything about screenshots except...i wonder whose idea the carrot-poop pallet was anyway?

for my part, i'm waiting for the next mint to upgrade. why the world's most popular distro has to remain the world's ugliest is beyond me.Looks are relative. I personally like the theme aside from the icons.

But Ubuntu technically does have a new theme: DarkRoom. It just isn't the default.

chris4585
October 30th, 2008, 11:50 PM
clearlooks and human ftw

After so long of trying new themes.. I suddenly realized I didn't need to change my theme every other day.

Anyway, I'm downloading Ibex right now, almost done. This is perfect timing because on my laptop right now I have INX (command line) and I'd like to put some GUI on my laptop for my trip (dual boot), I don't want to put hardy on it so close to the Ibex release, tomorrow I leave on a trip.

T-AA
October 30th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Well maybe not a hype but it got in the papers again.
At least here in belgium. Always a good thing.

And at work i got 2 people intersted to see it when i was telling them i was exited to upgrade my ubuntu tonight.

They where a little sceptical (? spelling?) when i told the it was a free os, but i promised i would bring my notebook after the weekend and show them it's a good one with lots of programs out of the box.
Won't try to convert them though, am just going to show them that it works.
If they want to know more after that they'll ask and i don't seem pushy.

Don_Dragon
October 31st, 2008, 05:06 AM
Honestly, Ibex has been a boon to me, so I'm kind of sad it hasn't received more hype. Sure it doesn't back a lot of obvious upgrades, but when I first installed gutsy, getting everything to work was hell, and when I updated to Hardy, a lot of what I had fixed broke once more, some of which, like the suspend function, I never got working again. Now Ibex comes along, and everything works out of the box, except a few upgrade bugs which are to be expected and are easily squashed. Even as early as the release candidate, it felt more polished then Hardy ever was.

blatestblabla
October 31st, 2008, 07:40 AM
Let's not get too hyped up (pun intended) on the supposed lack of hype. We've seen many cases where hype hasn't resulted in a worthy product, so it's not like it's a measure of quality.

As for me, I like new stuff and the latest packages. Having the latest version of Ubuntu out-of-the-box is good news for me, since it tends to contain fixes that won't appear in older versions of the distro due to a rule of not upgrading major things (eg. GNOME 2.24).

vishzilla
October 31st, 2008, 10:39 AM
May be Windows 7 pre-beta overshadowed the release! :lolflag:

gn2
October 31st, 2008, 11:16 AM
Compared to Hardy, the amount of hype/attention given to Intrepid is disappointing compared to Hardy. It's the best since Feisty (and certainly better than Hardy),

October Ubuntu releases often have niggling problems.
A quick read through of the release notes for 8.10 (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810) confirms it's no different.

Two steps forward in April, one step backward in October?

mudguts
October 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM
i don't think that there is any less interest... it's just that people seem to forget that it comes out every 6 months instead of once a year.
It certainly made the news with a few Canadian IT magazines.
here's a good review article on it.
http://www.crn.com/software/211800390

EnGorDiaz
October 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM

What caused this?

alot of ppl were excited about new themes and features but its not that good even though open office 3 is there

bobbocanfly
October 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
October Ubuntu releases often have niggling problems.
A quick read through of the release notes for 8.10 (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810) confirms it's no different.

Two steps forward in April, one step backward in October?

No... The last release was an LTS, designed from the very start of the development cycle to be as rock solid as possible. Non-LTS releases aim to be on the cutting edge, but still be usable. This is a difficult thing to do for everyone, if you have at least 8 million users.

I dont think Hardy should have going out on the release date as it released with a large amount of bugs, which led to 90% of the core development team working on updating it instead of working on the new release, for the first half of the Intrepid development cycle (when the fun things happen), which has negatively impacted Intrepid (there are less awesome new features). Because of this, more larger changes were made later on in the cycle, which meant that we only had a small time to fix stability issues.

EnGorDiaz
October 31st, 2008, 01:54 PM
the only thing im even trying is kubuntu 8.10

gn2
October 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
No... The last release was an LTS, designed from the very start of the development cycle to be as rock solid as possible. Non-LTS releases aim to be on the cutting edge, but still be usable. This is a difficult thing to do for everyone, if you have at least 8 million users.

Indeed. As the old saying goes you can't please all the people all the time.

For me as a mere one eight millionth, the October releases 5.10, 6.10 and 7.10 all caused problems of one sort or another.
8.10 is keeping up the tradition.

spoons
October 31st, 2008, 02:13 PM
I like how we don't have new features on the surface. Intrepid Ibex makes things more stable for me and PulseAudio actually works now.

Mistrblank
October 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
The LTS probably has a lot to do with it. But realistically, I don't plan on installing 8.10 at least for awhile. I know I had issues going with Hardy right after release and I'm still trying to get it working on my desktop at home (the machine itself is new). So until I have everything working and know how I got it that way, I'd like to avoid breaking everything again in the meantime. I already made the mistake once by updating my kernel, which in turn broke VirtualBox and VMWare and prevented me from working for 3 days (I use a virtual machine configured by work to VPN to the office).

My Ubuntu VM on my work machine is getting the update treatment though as we speak, but I don't do to much with that and I can roll back to a snap shot if I don't like the changes.

ghandi69_
October 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
I have absolutely no basis for saying this, but I've been a ubuntu user since Breezy Badger, and there always seems be more hype for the April release than the October release. Maybe its because its a whole new number (like, going from 7 to 8, instead of just .04 to .10)