PDA

View Full Version : Modern Consoles

Silvernotex
October 30th, 2008, 07:11 PM
I keep noticing that as Nintendo,Sony and (Sigh) Microsoft, bring out new consoles, they keep trying to make them more and more versatile. All of the latest generation consoles feature wireless internet, and compatible browsers. Anybody getting the feeling their just trying to make consoles like PC's? I mean the next logical step is to attach a keyboard to the consoles to make browsing easier =/. And it appears to be spreading rapidly, hell the mp4 player (for lack of better description, it does music (mp3/Wav/Ogg etc), games and video *gasp* what else does that), its basically a portable media center (now that sounds familiar), not only this it has wireless internet connection (the fact it can use IM's is in its product description).

KiwiNZ
October 30th, 2008, 07:19 PM
You can attach a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to PS3 , very useful

Mazza558
October 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
For some people, their consoles are PCs ;)

http://www.openpandora.org/

snova
October 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Maybe Microsoft is anticipating trouble, so they're moving their business around. By the sound of it, nothing necessary is left for a lot of people but email.

But this time they designed the hardware, so it's that much easier to lock us out.

Just some thoughts...

billgoldberg
October 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
You can attach a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to PS3 , very useful

Or a usb keyboard and mouse.

KiwiNZ
October 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Yuck USB H I T , wires everywhere

The PS3 is a brilliant media centre , I stream from my windows , Mac and Ubuntu PC's
I dont use my 360 for this though, its too noisey and irritates me.

billgoldberg
October 30th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Yuck USB H I T , wires everywhere

The PS3 is a brilliant media centre , I stream from my windows , Mac and Ubuntu PC's

I also use mine as a media center.

But I have a bit of trouble with either the new ps3 fireware update or the new mediatomb version in Ibex, I get shocky playback now when streaming over the network.

KiwiNZ
October 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I havent upgraded yet to Ibex, seems odd though that this should happen
The latest firmware didnt add a lot.

Silvernotex
October 30th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Another worry about consoles/other non-pc technology, is when we start to get virus's and other security issues affecting consoles. I only own a Wii, which I know occasionally asks for updates. Do the other consoles do this?

SunnyRabbiera
October 30th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Well yes it seems these days if you get a console you get a computer, this is why i feel PC gaming might not be around for that much longer.
but rather if the PC market and the console market will fully merge is unsure

aeiah
October 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
its cheaper to make a console out of pc components. if you look inside any of the main three they're pretty much computers, especially the ps3 and xbox 360. the development cost of putting a browser on there is very low and if your competitor does it, you've gotta follow. the reason for wireless is:
1. online play
2. network cables look ugly in the living room

aeiah
October 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM

3 computers and the two big consoles? what kind of a freak are you. bahhh.

loudnlownoma
October 30th, 2008, 08:32 PM
3 computers and the two big consoles? what kind of a freak are you. bahhh.

Hahaha...If that's a freak, I'm almost afraid to say what kinda stuff I've got running around here!

I think the biggest reason they add these features is the same as is true with any product. The more people you can attract to your product, the better. All of those features, while some may be overkill or unnecessary to you or me, may be the only reason others bought it. I can name at least 10 people I know who bought the PS3 as a Blu-ray player. They thought it was cool it played games too, and has the potential the PS3 has, but the price of it compared to stand-alone Blu-ray players was worth it. Same as the media center features they are both improving constantly - just an added feature that may snag a few more buyers. Not to mention the media center side is fairly easy, since they are basically smaller versions of a PC.

I don't know that PC gaming will die out completely, and I doubt Microsoft would abandon the PC gaming side completely in favor of the Xbox, but the consoles do have their advantages. How often can you buy a computer and 2-3 years later buy the latest and greatest game available and be sure it will run flawlessly? On the other side, how many things can you do on a PC that would be nearly impossible via a console?

They both have their pros and cons, but honestly the more they add to the consoles, the more selling power they have which means more money, so the big question shouldn't be why they are adding all these things, but why it took them so long...

Daggo
October 30th, 2008, 09:58 PM
+1 for playstation as a blu-ray player

The next big step would be to integrate a 'tivo/mythtv' inside a console to make it a REAL media center. It will be expensive but from what Ive seen, gaming consoles tend to get more pricey over time. So who knows, it may happen.