PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] A Couple Questions About Updating to Intrepid

Starclopsofish
October 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I decided to update to the Intrepid RC last night to avoid getting bogged down with all the traffice when the final release came out today. I assumed I'd be able to apt-get update/apt-get upgrade to the final version today, but doing so appears to have no effect.

Are there no changes between the release candidate and the final version? Or is it impossible to upgrade from the RC to the final version?

Also, many people have reported a speedup in boot time after updating, however I've experienced a substantial regression in this area, as previously the time from the desktop background to complete functionality was inperceptible. Now it takes a good 10-15 seconds.

Not complaining, just wondering if theres something I can do to alleviate this. Overall I am VERY impressed by this release. It appears to have fixed EVERY significant bug from Hardy on my machine, not to mention generally having a "snappier" feel and (IMO) very nice subtle cosmetic improvements. Hats of to the devs!

Tofus
October 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I have the same question, do we need to do anything to upgrade from the RC to the final?

I've had Intrepid RC installed since it was released and almost expected to boot up this morning and see some updates. The only update I had was the 'base-files' package.

Other than the Intel 4965 driver locking my machine (which has been fixed, thanks to finally reading the release notes), I have been very happy with this release and it's stability, even in beta/RC.

Starclopsofish
October 30th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hmmm... a couple seconds ago it updated what appears to be the kernel (to my inexperienced eyes) but nothing else to my knowledge.

frankleeee
October 30th, 2008, 05:53 PM
If you updated with daily releases you may not see any updates for a little while; until more people use the new distribution and find bugs and put in fixes.