PDA

View Full Version : 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope, whos ready?

Slug71
October 30th, 2008, 03:19 PM
So i'm curious. Now with Intrepid Ibex here, who's ready for JJ?

I might wait till final release i think or maybe even the next LTS.

Poll is multiple choice.
Should have included Beta, but since i havent it falls into the Alpha choice

DC@DR
October 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I'll wait for next LTS, for me LTS is the best of Ubuntu family :-)

jomiolto
October 30th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I always try to resist the temptation, but most likely I'll be running the alphas by Christmas :)

FuturePilot
October 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I usually jump on between Alpha 6 and the Beta.

DougieFresh4U
October 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm bored and ready to edit sources list, as I usually am :)

vishzilla
October 30th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I jump on with the Beta! You should have included Beta in the poll too

Giant Speck
October 30th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I think it's a little too early too be excited about 9.04. I mean, 8.10 just came out.

That would be like getting excited about Windows 8 when Windows 7 hasn't even gotten into beta stage yet.

Or like being excited about the fifth season of Heroes, when we aren't even halfway through the third season.

FuturePilot
October 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I think it's a little too early too be excited about 9.04. I mean, 8.10 just came out.

That would be like getting excited about Windows 8 when Windows 7 hasn't even gotten into beta stage yet.

Or like being excited about the fifth season of Heroes, when we aren't even halfway through the third season.

Believe it or not, there's quite a few people here that do not like to stay on the stable release. :)

Kevbert
October 30th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Ready and waiting. Hopefully Jaunty will address the speed of the kernel when comparing 8.10,8.04, 7.10, to 7.04. In saying that Intrepid has improved with wireless and detecting multiple DVD drives (at least for me).

DougieFresh4U
October 30th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Believe it or not, there's quite a few people here that do not like to stay on the stable release. :)

Oh, how true that is!!

jhackett
October 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM
it's really going to be called Jaunty Jackalop?!?

that's my favorite animal! (well, right behind the Terrorpin)

Changturkey
October 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
If they actually do something with the interface change they promised, then alphas for me.

klange
October 30th, 2008, 08:07 PM
As a Compiz dev, I need to jump onto the new-X-server train as soon as possible. I'll be pumping my laptop through the alphas, as I did with Intrepid and Hardy.

DRI2, GEM, XInput2 from the X server, possibly Plymouth for a bootsplash...

Dragonbite
October 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I used to be so slow on upgrading (heck, the desktop at home still has Edubuntu Feisty! ) but I'm speeding it up this time. I'm hoping to upgrade to II before December.

The Server, though, I'm hoping to go LTS to LTS.

My bigger problem, though, is sticking with only one distro! :lolflag:

Slug71
October 31st, 2008, 12:11 AM
I jump on with the Beta! You should have included Beta in the poll too

Yeh i should have, just figured it could apply with the Alpha choice.

jimi_hendrix
October 31st, 2008, 12:29 AM
if its new with a shiny user interface that i will change after i get it im in :)

tuxxy
October 31st, 2008, 12:32 AM
alphas :)

jimi_hendrix
October 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
where can you get the alpha?

cariboo907
October 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'm ready now, I've been using Intrepid since the repositories opened up. It's time for something new. :)

You didn't have a poll item for really early adopters, so I didn't vote.

Jim

mc4100
October 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM
As a Compiz dev, I need to jump onto the new-X-server train as soon as possible. I'll be pumping my laptop through the alphas, as I did with Intrepid and Hardy.

DRI2, GEM, XInput2 from the X server, possibly Plymouth for a bootsplash...

Yep, should be quite an improvement with anyone using Intel hardware, or any other compliant driver. I'll be on board pre-alpha :)

plun
October 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Alphas.. :popcorn:

PulseAudio must be challenged....](*,):-k:^o

Stetzen
November 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Definitely alphas, probably beginning from the first one (it'll be available on 20th November, hope it'll be a convenient way to upgrade). My Intel video card is an absolute garbage, so I'm waiting for DRI2, but Amarok2 may be also interesting... I'm actually considering moving to the KDE4 after the release.

optimisme
November 5th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Alphas just for testing purposes, but Intrepid to enjoy live & fun.

mgangav
November 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM
I hastily updating to 8.10. From now on, I'll wait for a stable release.

Tux Aubrey
November 6th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I voted "yes, sort of". I'll run alphas/beta and rcs in VMs (probably Xubuntu) for testing purposes. But I have changed my mind about new releases on my "real" machines - I haven't even gone to Intrepid yet on those. Hardy was pain for me until 8.04.1 and I don't want to that again. I don't find LTS releases any more stable that the intermediate ones on first release.

super.rad
November 6th, 2008, 03:30 AM
Sources.list already points to jaunty so just waiting for some updates ;)
I use Arch as my main OS and just tend to use Ubuntu for testing/messing around with

eternalnewbee
November 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM
I've only just started playing with Ibex:-({|=

theApokalypsis
November 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Im checking out the alpha right now. Im definitly hoping to finally have flicker free accelerated video with ATI cards and Compiz. i.e. DRI2 support.

Linux Dream Scene once again :D

Bölvağur
November 25th, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'll consider it later depending on if I have spare partitions, Im atm downloading fedora 10 so I will check that out before going to betatest ubuntu 9.04.

eragon100
November 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I'll consider it later depending on if I have spare partitions, Im atm downloading fedora 10 so I will check that out before going to betatest ubuntu 9.04.

Could you please post a general impression about fedora 10 here when you're done with it? (Or PM it to me?)

I am curious about fedora 10, but I don't want to install it just yet :)

cmay
November 25th, 2008, 06:18 PM
i could very much so like to beta test as soon its out.

piousp
November 25th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I guess its time for another distro-trying-marathon. Distrowatch, anyone? :lolflag:

Dragonbite
November 25th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Could you please post a general impression about fedora 10 here when you're done with it? (Or PM it to me?)

I am curious about fedora 10, but I don't want to install it just yet :)

Same here. I can't download anything until tonight and with the holiday it's going to be a while before I can try it out.

BTW, are you downloading the DVD?

theApokalypsis
November 30th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Regarding extra installations....

Check out VirtualBox. pretty much run anything in a VM. great for testing out new releases etc. Even XP, vista and such.

although of course this is not so useful for running on your native Proc or utilizing graphics and such :).

cheers

ghindo
November 30th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I'll probably jump on before the Beta.