PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Overriding Ubuntu with Xp

jgordon6633
October 30th, 2008, 05:21 AM
For some reason I can only find it the other way around.. people seem to think ubuntu is God's gift to earth.

Anyway, I have Ubuntu installed on a Dell D600, and i have a bootable copy of XP on a flash disk. ( for some reason my BIOS is locked, and I can't change the boot order, and i can select the drive by pressing f12, but it just loads Ubuntu)

How do I remove Ubuntu completely, but from within the system?

I want a clean slate.

thank you.

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 06:04 AM
If you are able to boot a ubuntu live cd then you can use gparted (System>Admin>Partition Editor) to delete your ubuntu partition. Then reinstall windows.

jgordon6633
October 30th, 2008, 06:14 AM
is a live cd just a copy of ubuntu on a cd? or do i have to order it from the linux wizard?

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 06:19 AM
yes it is ubuntu on a cd. If you don't have a copy then an easier way is to use gparted live cd this is easier on bandwidth. You can get gparted live cd from here (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)

jgordon6633
October 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM
ok, i have booted from my installation CD, which of these options do I choose?

A. Install Ubuntu
B. Check CD for Defects
C. Test Memory
D. Boot from first hard disk

melojo
October 30th, 2008, 06:31 AM
http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/download.en.html
use this to delete the linux partition.

You can probably unlock your bios by moving the jumper pin on your motherboard, this should set your bios back to factory default.

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 06:40 AM
ok, i have booted from my installation CD, which of these options do I choose?

A. Install Ubuntu
B. Check CD for Defects
C. Test Memory
D. Boot from first hard disk
Choose A and it should load to the ubuntu desktop where you can select gparted from System>Admin>Partition Editor

jgordon6633
October 30th, 2008, 06:42 AM
ok i forgot there was another option:

E. try Ubuntu without any changes to your desktops

I pressed it but my CD is f*cked up so i am making a new one. do I still choose A or E?

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Use E instead of A

jgordon6633
October 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
ok, i did what you recommended and removed the partitions, but I cant remove all. there are two left:

one is called 'linux-swap'
the other 'extended' and both are 1.44 Gig, but I have 147 Gig unallocated. When I try to boot w/o the live cd, I get 'error 18'

any ideas?

Partyboi2
October 30th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Start gparted again and right click on the swap partition and turn swap off, then delete it and then remove the extended.