PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nvidia drivers, envy, kernel update?

plamen_todoroff
October 30th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I have installed the nvidia driver for my laptop's 8600GT by using envy. The version is 173.some.thing, can't remeber exactly. What will happen with it, or what should I do, if I do the kernel update that is waiting in the Update Manager - 2.6.24-21?

Will I have to installed the driver again? If so, should I uninstall somehow the old one?

And another question, will there ever be a more recent driver in the oficial Ubuntu repos than 169.12? I'm using Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS. If I want to use the oficial Ubuntu repos to update my driver with a version after 169.12, do I have to install Interpid Ibex, or is it enough just to wait for an updated driver?

markharding557
October 30th, 2008, 01:36 AM
If you want your driver to be updated from ubntus repository then you will need it to be installed from there otherwise you have to do it your self

Woody1987
October 30th, 2008, 01:48 AM
The kernel update shouldnt affect the driver installed with envy, i used to use envy and i recall it working fine after every kernel update. If you do have to reinstall it then yes, remove the old one first. Hardy wont get a newer driver than 169.12, but if i were you, i would wait till tomorrow, update to intrepid ibex which DOES include the latest nvidia driver. If you choose to update to intrepid you MUST REMOVE the driver installed by envy otherwise you will have problems. But as i say i recommend waiting till tomorrow for intrepid ibex