PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 and eject key in Macbook 2.1

herzzreh
October 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I finally got all of my keys working correctly except for the eject key. Pommed doesn't make any difference.

Any solutions for fixing the eject key on a 2.1 Macbook? It looks like that it's not being recognized at all, xev gives no output.

crapple
October 29th, 2008, 10:52 PM
You should be able to go into system preferences and keyboard shortcuts. Find eject on the list. Try hitting the eject button and see if it reads it. If it doesn't you could just use a key combination like shift enter or something. You can set it to what you want
Hope this helps

all2ez
October 30th, 2008, 11:41 PM
You should be able to go into system preferences and keyboard shortcuts. Find eject on the list. Try hitting the eject button and see if it reads it. If it doesn't you could just use a key combination like shift enter or something. You can set it to what you want
Hope this helps

This didn't work for me. Since xev also gives no response, it seems like the computer isn't even registering that the key is being pressed. I tried changing the keyboard model in the System Preferences to MacBook and tried the USA Macintosh keyboard layout. The layout diagram doesn't even show an eject key.

I have not tried pommed. I would rather do it without running another program if possible. Any other ideas?

lord_xar
November 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
"I finally got all of my keys working correctly except for the eject key"
so brithness, numlock, capslock and soundkeys work for you?

how did you do this ?
i only got the sound keys to work ... wich work out of the box -.- ...
tried pommed ...nothing ...

thanks and regards

lord_xar

aldeayeah6
November 1st, 2008, 12:53 PM
All keys worked out of the box for me, except eject.

I installed pommed and now eject works too.

I have a MacBook 3.1 with the Spanish keyboard variant and all the official Apple updates (including the keyboard and EFI updates). I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 i386, with the default install except the bootloader (I'm using lilo).

kosumi68
November 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
It looks like installing pommed works around the problem. However, for those using gnome (ubuntu) and Intrepid, there might be other solutions. It would be helpful if someone of you could provide the output of these commands:

dmesg | grep input:

grep XINPUT /var/log/Xorg.0.log

all2ez
November 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
so brithness, numlock, capslock and soundkeys work for you?

how did you do this ?
i only got the sound keys to work ... wich work out of the box -.-

I think this is what got the brightness keys working for me.

sudo modprobe applesmc
echo applesmc | sudo tee -a /etc/modules

Brightness keys work, Caps Lock works but the green led doesn't turn on. The Num Lock doesn't light up and it doesn't make the number keys on the keyboard work (the faux numpad on 890UIOJKL), but it does seem to override the numlock on my external keyboard. Eject does not work.

However, for those using gnome (ubuntu) and Intrepid, there might be other solutions. It would be helpful if someone of you could provide the output of these commands

ez@ezmac:~$ sudo dmidecode -s system-product-name
MacBook2,1
ez@ezmac:~$ dmesg | grep input:
[ 1.927711] input: Macintosh mouse button emulation as /devices/virtual/input/input0
[ 5.151662] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/input/input1
[ 5.181130] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.1/input/input2
[ 5.621650] input: Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.0/input/input3
[ 5.630317] input: Apple Computer Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.2/input/input4
[ 6.515147] input: HID 05ac:1000 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.0/input/input5
[ 6.529132] input: HID 05ac:1000 as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.3/usb4/4-1/4-1:1.1/input/input6
[ 13.331368] input: Power Button (FF) as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXPWRBN:00/input/input7
[ 13.361127] input: Lid Switch as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0D:00/input/input8
[ 13.361266] input: Power Button (CM) as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0C:00/input/input9
[ 13.393113] input: Sleep Button (CM) as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0C0E:00/input/input10
[ 13.606510] input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:01/input/input11
[ 14.349308] input: appletouch as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb1/1-2/1-2:1.1/input/input12
[ 14.633407] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input13
[ 16.815085] input: applesmc as /devices/platform/applesmc.768/input/input14
[ 43.626251] input: Mouseemu virtual keyboard as /devices/virtual/input/input15
[ 43.651893] input: Mouseemu virtual mouse as /devices/virtual/input/input16
ez@ezmac:~$ grep XINPUT /var/log/Xorg.0.log
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouseemu virtual mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Mouseemu virtual keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "appletouch" (type: TOUCHPAD)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD)

cyberdork33
November 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM
Brightness keys work, Caps Lock works but the green led doesn't turn on. The Num Lock doesn't light up and it doesn't make the number keys on the keyboard work (the faux numpad on 890UIOJKL), but it does seem to override the numlock on my external keyboard. Eject does not work.
Someone seemed to fix the lights by disabling mouseemu... IDK why that would make a difference, but it is worth a try.

all2ez
November 3rd, 2008, 06:21 PM
Someone seemed to fix the lights by disabling mouseemu...

I disabled mouseemu by running

sudo /etc/init.d/mouseemu stop

Which does indeed instantly get the caps and num lock lights working. However, it breaks my volume keys, er sort of. The keys start controlling the PCM channel instead of the master volume, and the on-screen display doesn't show up anymore and a notification sound plays when I hit the keys. Anybody know how to configure what those keys are doing after mouseemu is turned off?

By the way, I did install pommed and it makes the eject key work, but has no effect on the volume key behavior problem.

cyberdork33
November 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
I disabled mouseemu by running

sudo /etc/init.d/mouseemu stopWhich does indeed instantly get the caps and num lock lights working. However, it breaks my volume keys, er sort of. The keys start controlling the PCM channel instead of the master volume, and the on-screen display doesn't show up anymore and a notification sound plays when I hit the keys. Anybody know how to configure what those keys are doing after mouseemu is turned off?

By the way, I did install pommed and it makes the eject key work, but has no effect on the volume key behavior problem.
From what I have read from others there seems to be a bug somewhere concerning the Eject Key not working if you setup stuff the way you are supposed to. pommed conflicts with other software so you are not supposed to use that anymore, but that seems to be the only thing that gets the eject key working.

You can set what channel the keyboard adjusts in the gnome sound settings. I don't have an Ubuntu machine to check precisely how to do this atm.

all2ez
November 3rd, 2008, 07:08 PM
You can set what channel the keyboard adjusts in the gnome sound settings. I don't have an Ubuntu machine to check precisely how to do this atm.

I know that the default mixer track in Systems>Preferences>Sound normally sets the channel for the volume keys but whatever happens when I turn off mouseemu is overriding that because it is still set to Master and the keys are controlling the PCM.

kosumi68
November 3rd, 2008, 08:23 PM
Uninstall the mouseemu packacke completely, restart your machine, and take it from there. Having X started when you change the mappings under its feet might also affect things.

all2ez
November 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
Uninstall the mouseemu packacke completely, restart your machine, and take it from there. Having X started when you change the mappings under its feet might also affect things.

Thanks, that worked. All the keys are working correctly now.

cyberdork33
November 4th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Geez that must effect a lot and I didn't realize it...

volanin
November 15th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Ok, I just installed Intrepid and got everything working, except... one little key!
I already uninstalled mouseemu and restarted.
Every other key works, except eject.

Xev does not detect it.
And pommed didn't work.

What am I doing wrong?
:)

tonymoyoy
January 28th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hi

System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts

in the action column look for Eject you will see the Shortcut "XF86 Eject", select that field and press de eject key and it will change to 0xcc

y listo

sorry for my english ;)