PDA

View Full Version : I think I just made up a great anti-DRM tagline thingie...

earthpigg
October 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I think I just made this up, I don't think I've heard it anywhere else. Google isn't giving me any returns.

I was thinking about basic functionalities that Vista does not have out of the box: .torrent support, ability to mount an ISO, basic DVD support, etc.

(i move a lot. 4 different nations in the last 3 years, no two in a row in the same DVD region. Vista, when i was using it, told me i could only move 5 times in my entire life and that each time i had to throw my old DVD collection away and buy an entirely new one. that was their DVD support, which does not work for me. the fact that i had to download VLC media player for basic DVD support essentially means Vista does not have basic DVD support out of the box.)

Anyways, here is what just popped into my head:

Prosecute me if I break the law, don't Persecute me under the assumption that I will.

Lets not focus the discussion on this specific 'feature' of this specific operating system, please... but things like this on a variety of software.

EA's persecution of those that choose to modify the hardware on their computer is another example - if you change your mobo more than a few times, you need approval from EA to keep playing your game.

klerfayt
October 29th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Prosecute me if I break the law, don't Persecute me under the assumption that I will.
I disagree - copyright infringement is happening on a very massive scale and it's time to stop prosecuting a few while so many go unpunished, it's just ridiculously unfair.
Much better anti-drm statement would be the one targeted at customer, something like - "why do you let treat yourself like a trash" or "you like being treated like a trash"? The flaw is not in companies that get away with it, but rather in customers who continue to keep buying, otherwise drm would mean you are out off business, ... in a world with common-sense that is ...

original_jamingrit
October 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I think earthpigg's point is more that almost everyone is being punished by the actions of pirates and the reactions of over-zealous copyright holders. Everyone who has to deal with DRM on products they legitimately hold licenses for are the ones really getting screwed.

That actually is a great tagline.

Although, you do make a good point. Not enough people are willing to actually vote with their wallets.

earthpigg
October 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Not enough people are willing to actually vote with their wallets.

this is very true.

smoker
October 29th, 2008, 09:58 PM
good line :-)

i'm surprised drm is still as widespread as it is, considering it costs companies quite a bit of money to develop, and is usually broken within a short period after. i am of the mind that if that money was used instead to cut prices to nearer what pirate copies go for, then more people are likely to buy legit versions, of whatever. someone may think it worth buying a pirate copy of something that saves them 50 on the original, but if they're only saving 10, they may opt for the 'real deal!'

anyway, nothing with drm for me, :-)

earthpigg
October 29th, 2008, 10:32 PM
i've heard of people buying DRM'd games and then going ahead and using a downloaded pirated copy because they consider the cracked DRM-free version a superior product.

the more extreme and high profile DRM a company uses, the more appealing they are to crackers/hackers to break.

rule #1 of avoiding terrorist attacks is "when and where possible, keep a low profile."

smoker
October 29th, 2008, 10:38 PM
...the more extreme and high profile DRM a company uses, the more appealing they are to crackers/hackers to break.

this is true, and this is also like an apprenticeship, every hacker, cracker, starts somewhere, drm could be the training ground to the bank's moolah in a few years time (if there are any left after the credit crunch!):lolflag:

billgoldberg
October 29th, 2008, 11:15 PM
That's not a very good tag line if you ask me.

And I have heard that one a thousand times (on the dutch tech sites I visit).

blastus
October 30th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Dodo's Rootkits and Malware :)

For security reasons I don't use anything that employs DRM.

billgoldberg
October 30th, 2008, 01:51 AM
Dodo's Rootkits and Malware :)

For security reasons I don't use anything that employs DRM.

That women in your avatar looks familiar, can't put my finger on it exactly, help me out.

blastus
October 30th, 2008, 01:54 AM
That women in your avatar looks familiar, can't put my finger on it exactly, help me out.

That's Sean Young.

Frak
October 30th, 2008, 02:02 AM
This would be a great tagline for the TPM chip too.