PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Screen resolution not remembered

timdh
October 29th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I am using the new release candidate so don't know if my issue is related to that or perhaps related to the fact that I am running Ubuntu inside a virtual machine (although I have run Ubuntu in virtual machines many times in the past without any similar problems).

I am running Ubuntu as a virtual machine in VMWare server. I did a brand new install (not an upgrade) using the release candidate. After installing, I set the screen resolution to something I was happy with (1280X800 or something like that).

Whenever I shut down the virtual machine and start it back up, the resolution goes to 800X600 and stays there until I go into the menu and open the window to change the resolution back to what I want. As soon as I open the window, the resolution will immediately change back to it's correct value of 1280X800. I don't have to make any changes, just opening the window will cause the resolution to change.

I thought maybe I was not waiting long enough for the operating system to load and the resolution just happened to take effect at the same time that I opened the 'change resolution' window. However, I shut down and started up the VM and let it sit there for a good 10 minutes. The resolution stayed at 800X600 the whole time until I opened the resolution settings window.

Any ideas on what might cause (or fix) this?

Thanks.

myrddinemrys
November 5th, 2008, 03:00 PM
I have the exact same problem on my new Kubuntu Intrepid install. Just going into the Display part of System Settings fixes it, but only until next reboot.

Still looking for a solution.