PDA

View Full Version : The no1 reason to use Ubuntu/Linux Open Source

yavez
October 29th, 2008, 05:25 AM
Just got this link from Reddit and well, it brings tears to the eyes. I just can't imagine any Closed Source company bringing about this reaction in people.

LINK: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-May/004196.html

And here's the full text of the email:

This post is for all of you out there
who have developed or contributed to Linux/Ubuntu projects and all of the open
source coders who read this.I do not know where to send a post like this so I hope this one email will find its way in the sea of posts out there.

I thank you to the point of tears.

Earlier this week I installed Kubuntu
on a refurbished AMD computer I purchased for $184 from a discount
online vendor, it came with no OS. It now runs like a champ.

We cant afford much and this was my 14
year old daughter's birthday present this past week. She is
overjoyed. And she is already trying to tackle Adept Manager and
exploring Linux; adding bling and her music, of course.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate
the work you all have done. Its a work of art. If I could thank each and every one of
you I would.

You have given her the world to learn and explore.

So if you get frustrated or tired in
your work for Open Source/Free Software, just remember that somewhere in Missouri
there is a 14 year-old girl named Hope, an A-student who runs on the track team,
who is now your biggest fan and one of the newest users of
Linux/Ubuntu.

Thanks most sincerely,

R.B.A.
Missouri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Robert. B. Azinger
roboghast at yahoo.com

Robert, if you're on here, we welcome you and your daughter and I think I can say from all of us, thankyou for your words.

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Yeah. I'm really going to get all excited and install Linux just because some unknown teenager in Missouri likes it. That's really motivation right there.

/sarcasm

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Yeah. I'm really going to get all excited and install Linux just because some unknown teenager in Missouri likes it. That's really motivation right there.

/sarcasm

Well, people will care more about the unknown teenager than the unknown sarcastic poster on UF.

MasterNetra
October 29th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Well, people will care more about the unknown teenager than the unknown sarcastic poster on UF.

Oh snaps! :p

Any who i introduced Linux to my room mates son who is 16 years old. He has a old laptop that has a old Celeron processor and only 192 MB of ram. So i found Puppy Linux for him. He's never wanted to return to windows sense and wants Ubuntu when he gets a suitable laptop for it.

So its great when kids get interested in Linux.

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2008, 08:23 AM

How do you figure? If no one knows either of us, how can anyone care more for one than the other?

SomeGuyDude
October 29th, 2008, 08:32 AM
How do you figure? If no one knows either of us, how can anyone care more for one than the other?

One's an A-student track star showing her gratitude toward the people who made it possible.

The other's a dude mocking her.

Hmmmm...

EnGorDiaz
October 29th, 2008, 08:33 AM

thats is the most stupidest comment i have ever heard who the hell are you steve ballmer

EnGorDiaz
October 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Oh snaps! :p

Any who i introduced Linux to my room mates son who is 16 years old. He has a old laptop that has a old Celeron processor and only 192 MB of ram. So i found Puppy Linux for him. He's never wanted to return to windows sense and wants Ubuntu when he gets a suitable laptop for it.

So its great when kids get interested in Linux.

i was 13 when i started getting into linux its the only os on my computer hasnt even been touched by windows products

EdThaSlayer
October 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM
I really like her name which by coincidence is "Hope" a teenager that runs for the track team, gets A's and etc..etc..

Sounds like a made up story to me, but if you are really out there "Hope", good job on choosing my favorite distro Kubuntu. :)

yavez
October 29th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I was not mocking the actual girl. I was mocking the fact that the OP bundled the e-mail together with the title "The no1 reason to use Ubuntu/Linux Open Source." She's just a girl. No one knows exactly who she is. Why should some unknown person be the shining light that draws users to anything open-source?

If you'd even bothered to read what I posted you'd see I mentioned the no1 reason as being the kind of response that Open-Source can generate, such as this email from the father. A response that nobody in their right mind would ever write after using closed-source systems. Open-Source (Kubuntu in this example) enabled a father with little money to provide his daughter with access to the world of computing and knowledge. Are you really so jaded as to take umbridge with this? Oh yes, I see you're running Vista, so you must be.

I posted what I thought was a very telling example of what good Open-Source can do, and you come in here with your sarcasm and your combatitive attitude. Rather than seeing something good being done in the world all you can do is **** your nose at an honestly thankful father who is proud about what he's been able to provide for his daughter.

You show me one example of how Windows or OSX ever helped anybody provide anything when they were low on cash, when they didn't have the stupid amounts of money to splash out on Operating Systems and expensive hardware.

And I doubt anybody would take your story of being the Military and using open-source as any kind of reason for switching to Ubuntu. If anything you're the poster boy for not switching, if new users have to encounter your needlessly cynical and hateful worldview on first switching I reckon a lot would switch back almost immediately.

timjohn7
October 29th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Your username says it all. Perhaps some people should re-read the definition of Ubuntu. I'm a retired Naval Captain and its a pity that this unkind sarcasm should come from a member of any military organization. But as you say in your signature... lets try and get along... in the spirit of this forum.

ad_267
October 29th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Man this got out of hand pretty fast. I think the original aim of this thread was about the way in which free software can help people. Yeah maybe that wasn't a really smart comment to make, but can we move on and get over it?

I think it's great that free software like Ubuntu can help people who can't afford to buy proprietary software. With free operating systems everyone benefits. Big businesses can pay for support and can also directly fund development, and home users get a free operating system. Then everyone ends up with a stable and reliable operating system.

macogw
October 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Speck:
Do you want me to put on the moderator hat?

I'm subscribed to this thread now. I'm watching you all.

Giant Speck
October 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Giant Speck:
Do you want me to put on the moderator hat?

I don't know...

Is your head cold? :p

Besides, I already apologized. No need to threaten me with disciplinary action.

Sealbhach
October 29th, 2008, 10:55 AM
If I was to mention that I serve in the United States Air Force and use Ubuntu and open-source programs, does that actually make me important or furthermore, a reason for people to switch to Ubuntu or start using open-source? No it doesn't. And neither does being a 14-year-old girl in Missouri.

You seem to have missed the point of the OP. Tis a tale of poverty. You know, when people don't have the money to buy things?

mybunche
October 29th, 2008, 11:21 AM
To end Microsoft's monopoly and their stifling of computer development.

blablatestbla
October 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
You seem to have missed the point of the OP. Tis a tale of poverty. You know, when people don't have the money to buy things?

You seem to forget, a stupendously large number of people would rather pirate Windows than bother with Linux, still. It's not like a gun will be put to your head if you fire up the torrents for example. Money technically isn't an issue if you want certain closed-source software.

To end Microsoft's monopoly and their stifling of computer development.
That sounds more like a crusade than something tangible.

handy
October 29th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Freedom.

bapoumba
October 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Did a little cleaning here: 7 posts.

macogw
October 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Did a little cleaning here: 7 posts.

Thanks, was asleep.

bapoumba
October 29th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks, was asleep.

Welcome, and good morning :)

FuturePilot
October 29th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Just got this link from Reddit and well, it brings tears to the eyes. I just can't imagine any Closed Source company bringing about this reaction in people.

LINK: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-May/004196.html

And here's the full text of the email:

Robert, if you're on here, we welcome you and your daughter and I think I can say from all of us, thankyou for your words.

That is an awesome story. Thanks for finding that and sharing. :)

NewJack
October 29th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Thanks to the OP for this story. It hits close to home for me. I just bought a new home and money is tight right now. My son, who is 5, is getting into the computer lab at his school (windows PC's, unfortunately) and really wants his own computer for home. Luckily I had my wife's old PC laying around, so when Intrepid releases tomorrow, I'll install it and my son will have the "new" computer he wanted.

MasterNetra
October 29th, 2008, 04:50 PM
i was 13 when i started getting into linux its the only os on my computer hasnt even been touched by windows products

I heard of linux some odd years ago but all i was hearing at the time is it was really just nerds and computer experts using it so i didn't touch it. It was only about a year ago did i start investigating it.
Now I want Ubuntu to be my only system..but my college is using CS3 products & Autodesk 3Ds Max for my courses so i'm dual booting windows for that sense i haven't been able to get photoshop to install in Ubuntu (64bit). I'll probably try again with 8.10 (32bit) but meh. After college though WinXP is out the window :p.

And yay less then 24 hours until Interpid's release! :)