PDA

View Full Version : Celeron D 330 Intel 64?

bean72
October 28th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hey guys,
I happen to have an Ubuntu server running on a Celeron D 330 processor. Last night I ran into and article on Wikipedia that states:

They also have hardware-level support of Intel's Intel 64 technology by virtue of it also being built into the Prescott core, although the feature is disabled in all 3x0/3x5 models (with the exception of the Celeron D model 355). It has been activated in all 3x1 and 3x6 models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron_M

Now I am aware that the article states that the feature is disabled in the 330 processor. What I would like to know if anyone knows a way of enabling the 64 architecture on it? Is it just a matter of bridging two pins on the processor?
I'm very sceptical that it is even possible to enable 64-bit on it, the article could not be accurate, but it would still be nice if I could get Ubuntu 64 running on it.

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

LaRoza
October 29th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Processors are highly delicate and extremely precise. Physically altering it would be, for the most part, impossible.

bean72
October 29th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I knew that back in the day that if you wanted to unlock certain processors, it was just a matter of using a pencil to make a line between two pins, and the graphite would be conductive enough to unlock the processor for overclocking abilities. I had a theory that unlocking the 64 bit abilities would be the same idea. Looks like I'm trying to draw blood from a stone, I'm better off upgrading. :D
Appreciate the help.