PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ipod Shuffle (1st gen.) still dead even after Amarok update.

marcthenarc
October 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
After an upgrade in the middle of this summer my iPod Shuffle (1st gen.) so I used my iBook w/ OS X instead all summer. I've upgraded to the latest Amarok on Kubuntu (1.4.9.1, build date Oct. 20 2008 with libgpod3 0.6.0-3ubuntu3) hoping that it would fix my problem but it still doesn't. And though I read complaints about it lately, I still don't have a comprehensive fix to hold on to.

Does anyone have similar problems ?

lunarcloud
October 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Is the shuffle windows (fat32) format or macintosh (hfs+) format?

I've never gotten the hfs+ formatted ipods to work.

tgalati4
October 28th, 2008, 04:19 PM
hfs+ ipods do work, but you have to disable journaling. This can be done on the mac using the terminal command:

>diskutil disableJournal disk#s#

Where your disk may be called disk1s1 or similar. Use the following command with your shuffle plugged into the mac:

>df -h

Note the disk names for your mac system boot drive and your shuffle. Don't turn off journaling on your mac. It's really needed. It's not needed for the shuffle.

Here's a link that describes some other things to try:

http://simplyubuntu.wordpress.com/2006/07/29/ubupod/

marcthenarc
October 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
It's fat32.

I don't understand it. The whole thing beautifully until the Amarok updates this summer. I did not need to reformat in HFS or disable some doo-hickey before that.