PDA

View Full Version : [other] Laptop won't Boot

intense.ego
October 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I turned on my laptop this morning, booted into Ubuntu and opened up rhythmbox. As rhythmbox began to load my songs, the computer just shut off. No warning, nothing. I tried to boot it up again but it wouldn't. I then noticed that the little light that signals the laptop is plugged into mains power was off. I thought it may have been a problem with the charger or with the plug adaptor but I tried different combinations of both but still nothing. My battery has been dead for a while so I can't check anything with that. What do you think the problem is? How can I fix it?

Thank you in advance

bapoumba
October 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Happened to me on a used used used laptop with a dead battery. That probably means the power supply is dead too. I called it quits..

overdrank
October 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I agree with bapoumba as the power supply is the issue. You may try a new one as I had this issue with a old dell and the new ps worked well and is still working. :)

bapoumba
October 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I agree with bapoumba as the power supply is the issue. You may try a new one as I had this issue with a old dell and the new ps worked well and is still working. :)

Nice to hear that, thanks :)
Mine was an old Fujitsu with a 10GB drive and very little ram. I may look for another power supply, the specs are good enough for the kids to play atanks (http://atanks.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html) ;)

intense.ego
October 28th, 2008, 04:30 PM
So the power supply is dead? Makes sense since the laptop doesn't even detect if it is connected to mains power. Well, I still have the warranty, so that should cover it, right? In the unlikey case it does not, how would i go about replacing it myself? (it is very unlikely but just asking out of curiosity and just in case)

EDIT: could the failing PS also be the reason my battery was "dead"? It started with the battery only lasting a couple of minutes, and then soon, it didn't last at all. Perhaps, it was "dead" because the PS couldn't charge it or read it properly?

sleepitoff
October 28th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Possibly be the CMOS battery (that little battery near the motherboard) ?

Once during a startup, my notebook froze and I had to do a hard shutdown and I couldn't get it to boot again after. I ended up taking it to a shop and it was the CMOS battery.