PDA

View Full Version : card reader issue

gabyc2706
October 28th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Hi, I just started using Linux, I need help too, i purchase a card reader for my kingston sd card, first, i connected it to my laptop Toshiba satellite a65 that has installed ubuntu, it detected the adapter with no problems i saw the sd icon on my desktop, and i was able to browse it, how ever, after like 5 minutes of using it, my laptop froze for the first time, i left it like that for like 5 minutes and than did hard reset, i never had to do this before to my computer, after that, the sd card would not show on my desktop, i connected the adapter to my win desktop, i have to install the drivers obviously -windows OS desktop- how ever, i did open the devices/hardware icons, but, when i clicked on the one for the sd card it said it was not formated, i didnt want to formate it at that time because i have information!!! After some hrs, i decided i would formate it, so i clicked yes, and said could not format, I checked the lock and it was disabled, tried again, still, same answered, turned the lock on and unable to go through, HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

overdrank
October 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Hi and welcome, I have moved your post from the beginners thread to its own thread. :)

73ckn797
October 29th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I have a Toshiba laptop and could not get my Sony Pro Duo to read in the SD slot when using the Duo to SD adapter. Are you using any adapter? I had to use a USB Duo reader adapter for the Sony. I recently replaced my camera with one that uses a SD card and it works perfectly in the Toshiba OEM SD reader slot. Try an adapter and see what happens.

gkestrel
October 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
It sound like when you had to reset your laptop that you might have corrupted the filesystem on your sd card. You could try installing testdisk to see if you can recover the filesytem on the sd card, also when you install testdisk you get a program called photorec, that can be used to try and recover any photos or any data you may have on the sd card. Testdisk is available for install from the repositories, and is also available to download for windows if you prefer to try recovery from a windows machine.Try that first and see if it gets your sd card working again. Hope that helps you if not post back here with details of how you got on.