PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] Samba permissions issue (I am a dummy)

CraigH
October 28th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and to mythbuntu, which I think is great. I have learned a lot lately but I am having an issue getting Samba to work to share my videos folder.

I followed a good walk through I found here on the forum and got Samba working at least (I can login to the server from my Windows workstation using my ubuntu username (craig) and see my home directory and the files within) .. But when I try to enter the videos folder I shared I get a message saying

\\192.168.1.10\videos is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The group name could not be found

I have done everything I can think to do and that I have read about but am at a loss. I hope someone can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Craig

alienprdkt
October 28th, 2008, 07:01 AM
try this

#sudo bash
#nano -w /etc/samba/samba.conf

make sure you have this all setup

[global]

# set YOURWORKGROUP to the name of your workgroup

workgroup = YOURWORKGROUP
netbios name = server
server string = somethingthatmakessense
security = share
encrypt passwords = yes
guest account = guest

path=/shared_directory
writeable=yes
browsable=yes
available = yes
valid users = USERNAME
read only = no
public = yes

don't forget to restart samba:

#sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

hope this works for you.

CraigH
October 29th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I am so frustrated ... this should not be this hard. : (

This is what I now have in my file:

[videos]
comment = Videos
path = /var/lib/mythtv/videos
public = yes
writable = yes
browsable = yes
available = yes
create mask = 0660
directory mask = 0770
valid users = craig

I can now access the files in the folder from windows Vista .... but NOT from pyNeighborhood in another ubuntu machine. I don't know what to do ... I am going crazy. Please help!

: )

Craig

CraigH
October 30th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I got this working.

I played with several things in the smb.conf file until and banged my head against the wall for a while ... then somehow I realized that i had to create the folder that I was trying to mount the share to (like /mnt/videos) .. none of the tutorials said anything about that, and being as linux retarded as I am I didnt even think about it. Now I know and knowing is half the battle in the famous words of GI Joe.

Sigh ... it's bitter sweet. : )