PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] [SOLVED] GNOME, XFCE, and speed

fiddler616
October 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Hello,
I've been using GNOME for awhile, on a laptop with 512 MB RAM and 1000mhZ processor. I've tried out

sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop
and really like XFCE too.
However, were I to permanently switch to XFCE, I'd still want:

OpenOffice
Nautilus
Firefox (I think XFCE has it natively though)
gedit
gnome-terminal
Dia
kolourpaint

And I understand that running GNOME apps on XFCE subtracts from the speed.
The question is:
Will there be a noticeable increase in speed if I switch to GNOME-heave XFCE?
...also:
Is XFCE spelled XFCE or Xfce? (I've seen both)
Is there an easy way to change the color/transparency of the panes in Xfce?
Thanks in advance.
PS: I know this has been covered before, but it was an earlier version of Ubuntu/GNOME/Xfce.

OrangeCrate
October 27th, 2008, 07:35 PM
I'm currently running Xfce/Intrepid, and have Xfce/Hardy on another partition. It was also the same with Feisty and Gutsy.

On both of my computers, Xfce always seems a bit quicker than Gnome (particularly on my older computer, a 1.4 GHz Celeron, with 512 meg of RAM), though my reason for installing, is that I simply prefer Xfce's interface.

And, I'm with you, I like to have the full range of default Ubuntu packages such as OOo, Xsane, etc, working "out of the box", so to speak.

If you go to a straight Xubuntu (Xfce) install, you can get everything you want, but you'll have to install OOo, as an example, from Synaptic, or the command line. I actually did that with Gutsy, and Xubuntu was certainly quick. No Nautilus though, you'll be using Thunar. (See additional comment in the next post.)

See here for additional installation instructions...

http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu

OrangeCrate
October 27th, 2008, 07:46 PM
^^,

Sorry, forgot to comment on a couple of your other concerns...

First,

Transparency yes, color no, not that I'm aware of. Go Menu > Settings > Settings Manager > Window Manager Tweaks > Compositor, and you can modify a lot of stuff.

Second,

Nautilus will be available from a Gnome session, but you'll be using Thunar on Xfce. All the same file structure though. (Tip - it's easier to install themes, icons, etc. from Gnome, than it is from Xfce. Install on Gnome, they'll show up on Xfce.)

IMO, installing Xfce over Ubuntu is the best way to go, since you're getting the best of both worlds, but either way should serve you well.

mali2297
October 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Will there be a noticeable increase in speed if I switch to GNOME-heave XFCE?

I found the most noticeable difference in speed when comparing the file managers. Consider giving Thunar another try.

Is XFCE spelled XFCE or Xfce? (I've seen both)

From the wiki (http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#about_xfce):

How to pronounce Xfce and what it means

“Ecks Eff See Eee”. The name Xfce originally stood for XForms Common Environment, but since then, Xfce was rewritten twice and doesn't use XForms toolkit anymore. The name survived, but the F is nolonger capitalized (not “XFce”, but “Xfce”). Currently the acronym doesn't stand for anything (suggestion: X Freakin' Cool Environment).

You can change transparency if you right-click on the panel and go to Customize Panel. The color is controlled by the gtk+ theme; I don't know an 'easy' way of editing it, but it is possible to craft it manually. Perhaps it is easiest to search for a suitable theme at www.xfce-look.org.

OrangeCrate
October 27th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I found the most noticeable difference in speed when comparing the file managers. Consider giving Thunar another try.

From the wiki (http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#about_xfce):

You can change transparency if you right-click on the panel and go to Customize Panel. The color is controlled by the gtk+ theme; I don't know an 'easy' way of editing it, but it is possible to craft it manually. Perhaps it is easiest to search for a suitable theme at www.xfce-look.org.

Right, assuming you've checked "Enable display compositing" in the "Compositor" section of the "Window Manager Tweaks". If that box is unchecked, there is no option to control transparency under "Customize Panel".

I'm only pointing this out, to head off the inevitable question of not seeing the option when you right click the panel, and follow your instructions. At least that's the way it has to be on both of my computers.

sub2007
October 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
To be honest, Xubuntu actually has a lot of GNOME libraries and programs installed out of the box. You might well be able to run those apps just with the libs you get out of the box or with only installing a few more. I don't think you'll find an awful lot of speed change by installing those apps you listed (except for kolourpaint which will also need KDE libs installed).

fiddler616
November 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Wow, thank you guys. I'd go out and try it right now, except I'm currently posting from a Live CD--GRUB has a few "boo-boo's."
I'll definitely get back about using Thunar, etc.
Is it possible to just install the Xfce Desktop Environment, and not all the additional packages that come with xubuntu-desktop? Because when I've done it before, I get a lot of Xfce stuff that I don't really want--since I use the GNOME equivalent.
In the same line of reasoning, is it possible to just remove GNOME--and keep the packages (i. e.: OO.o, Firefox, etc.) that come with it?
Thanks.

mali2297
November 2nd, 2008, 11:15 PM
Is it possible to just install the Xfce Desktop Environment, and not all the additional packages that come with xubuntu-desktop?

Yes, install the meta package xfce4 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/xfce4).

fiddler616
November 2nd, 2008, 11:30 PM
Yes, install the meta package xfce4 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/xfce4).

Aha! Thanks.

(Now if I can just get off this Live CD....)

Warren Watts
November 2nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
Is it possible to just install the Xfce Desktop Environment, and not all the additional packages that come with xubuntu-desktop?

I wrote a HOWTO (HOWTO Build and install a compact (+/-) 1GB Xfce Based Ubuntu Desktop) you might find useful as well...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=549958

fiddler616
November 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
A) I got my computer working
B) I installed the xfce4 package, and Thunar.
I logged into Xfce...and where's my panel? There's this square monstrosity on my desktop, and upon right-clicking it I learned that it is my new panel.
I started this post to rant about how much I hated the new panel (it definitely didn't look like that when I played with Xfce in Hardy,) but then I realized it was a lot more customizable than I was giving it credit for. I think I used Windows a little bit too much today (but, but I got to use Chrome for the first time, and it's so cool! :) )
At any rate, what's up with the workspaces? I'm only allowed to adjust the rows? No columns? What?

As for customizing panel color/transparency, opening up the "Customize Panel" box doesn't help.

Just out of curiosity, what does the little radio-button thing in the panes of all my windows do? Edit: Figured it out

Thanks for all your help.

the Arbiter
November 5th, 2008, 12:46 AM
hi im the arbiter and i wuz wundering if anywon could tell me if there is a windows blackcomb theme for gtk2.x like Style xp's watercolor theme....

xubuntu8.10 4gb hdd 354mb ram intel pentium 3 450Mhz

fiddler616
November 5th, 2008, 09:23 AM
hi im the arbiter and i wuz wundering if anywon could tell me if there is a windows blackcomb theme for gtk2.x like Style xp's watercolor theme....

xubuntu8.10 4gb hdd 354mb ram intel pentium 3 450Mhz

Hmm, I'm sorry I can't explicitly help you. But you'll probably do much better if you start a new thread.

mali2297
November 5th, 2008, 04:09 PM
At any rate, what's up with the workspaces? I'm only allowed to adjust the rows? No columns? What?

You can set the total number of workspaces through Settings Manager -> Workspaces and Margins and thus indirectly set the number of columns.

As for customizing panel color/transparency, opening up the "Customize Panel" box doesn't help.

Did you enable compositing through Settings Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks as OrangeCrate suggested?

fiddler616
November 5th, 2008, 04:24 PM
You can set the total number of workspaces through Settings Manager -> Workspaces and Margins and thus indirectly set the number of columns.

Thanks.

Did you enable compositing through Settings Manager -> Window Manager Tweaks as OrangeCrate suggested?
Sorry, when I was re-reading (er, skimming) this thread from Xfce I missed it.

Solved!