PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pulling My Hair Out

brucey1st
October 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Hi guys i'm hoping someone can help me here :confused:

First thing is i'm a total noob to linux, altho i have had pcs since windows 3.1

2ndly i absolutely love ubuntu OS, but i keep getting a blank screen after installing the Ati driver ..

I have googled this, and its a very common problem with ati, but can someone help me here please :)

Ive been trying to work this out for the last 3 dayz (on and off) so if someone can have mercy and put me outa my misery :lolflag:

Any Replies Would Be Much Appreciated

Cheers Brucey

DrMelon
October 26th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Have you tried downloading and running EnvyNG? That program should help you get the right ATi drivers and configure them properly.:KS

brucey1st
October 26th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Have you tried downloading and running EnvyNG? That program should help you get the right ATi drivers and configure them properly.:KS

Yep tried that several times, still blank screen after restart

Brucey

phidia
October 26th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Which ati model are you trying to enable?
That's important because some models are supported better than others.

You could try and install the driver from the ati site, but before you attempt that take a look at the guide here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI) particularly the section titled
Install from Ubuntu repositories (easier)
Hope that helps.

brucey1st
October 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM

You could try and install the driver from the ati site, but before you attempt that take a look at the guide here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI) particularly the section titled
Hope that helps.

Hi, Its an Ati Radeon 9800 All in wonder SE

Brucey

brucey1st
October 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Hope that helps.

Tried this in the terminal

brucey@brucey-desktop:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r`
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic
brucey@brucey-desktop:~$ sudo insmod /lib/modules/`uname -r`/volatile/fglrx.ko

No idea what it means lol

Brucey

brucey1st
October 26th, 2008, 09:52 PM
You could try and install the driver from the ati site

Hi ive downloaded the ati gfx driver from the site, can anyone give me some info in how to install it?

Cheers Brucey

brucey1st
October 26th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Hi ive downloaded the ati gfx driver from the site, can anyone give me some info in how to install it?

Cheers Brucey

Anyone?

phidia
October 26th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Make sure you are in the directory that contains the downloaded driver and enter "sudo sh <drivername>" you use can use the commandline completion feature-just enter a few letters of the driver name and press tab the CLI will fill in the rest.