PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No desktop

azray
October 25th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I have been struggling with Gnome desktop for some time. I eventually bit the bullet and did a fresh install of vers. 8.04. I chose to have the automatic login option when installing the new system. The desktop freezes immediately after login occurs. I cannot get to a terminal mode or choose my login options accordingly.

I could use some help as my system is dead on arrival.

overdrank
October 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I have been struggling with Gnome desktop for some time. I eventually bit the bullet and did a fresh install of vers. 8.04. I chose to have the automatic login option when installing the new system. The desktop freezes immediately after login occurs. I cannot get to a terminal mode or choose my login options accordingly.

I could use some help as my system is dead on arrival.

Hi and are you able to boot into recovery mode? It is usually the second choice from the grub.
Could you give us some system specs also.

azray
October 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
As I said it is a brand new install however in the past I tried the recovery mode, tried several options all with the same result. Very perplexing to me as I would imagine a fresh install would overwrite corrupted files etc. I wonder if the problem is related to the built-in video card but there are times during the boot where everything is displayed perfectly. I noted during the recovery mode startup that there were plenty of OK's displayed as the data scrolled by.

1.5 gb of memory on a Dell pc. Ubuntu OS.

azray
October 29th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Cheeze, what does a fellow have to do to get a response? Is my question over the top or something. I could use some suggestions to get some help with my problem.

Is it possible that my video card chokes after logging in? Seems a long shot but I can not get past login after a fresh install of any version of Ubuntu.

Many would agree that I need help.....:)