PDA

View Full Version : Questions/Help on identifying Hauppauge tuner card

CGW
October 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I've both searched this board and Googled for this info...but so far no luck. What I have found has been contradictory. So hopefully someone here will be able to answer these questions.

First off, I purchased this card used from a guy I know.

http://www.shspvr.com/pvr_model/haup_freestyle_rev2.jpg

He claimed this was a PVR-250.

My questions are: Is it really? And if it is, does this version support hardware encoding under Mythbuntu?

Thanks in advance.

ian dobson
October 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hi,

Came across this

There use to be lots of the 250's and 350's on eBay.
Not anymore. (gratefully I bought 3 of the "48432" versions for my Myth box.)

The 48432 is an OEM version that was bundled with HP boxes, if memory serves me.
This was causing some confusion for buyers, but was a great way to pickup a 250 for half the cost.

and http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=8847.0

So it looks as if it's an OEM version of the PVR-250 with a hardware MPEG encoder onboard.

Regards
Ian Dobson

CGW
October 23rd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the help!

It's JUST a encoder and not a decoder...right?

How much does software decoding task a system?

anonymousdog
October 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Even fairly low powered systems will smoothly decode SD recordings, especially if they have nVidia graphics that can do XvMC. It's usually a good idea to experiment with different playback profiles and deinterlacing methods to get the best results on low-power machines. I have a P3 866 box with 512MB SDRAM that performs beautifully as a diskless frontend using the CPU-- playback profile and XvMC.

CGW
October 23rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
The box I'm building is a P4/3GHz/1GB RAM. The only thing I wasn't sure about was the tuner card. I ended up with this one after being mislead. The seller told me this was both a encoder and decoder card. Which is why I was asking.

Thanks again

newlinux
October 23rd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I don't think the PVR-250 have any decoding, but with a 3GHz P4 you don't need it. My P4 3Ghz decodes HD just fine without XvMC. This card just does analog SD signals.

CGW
October 23rd, 2008, 11:31 PM
Awesome...thanks for the help.
:guitar: