PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Stuffed up my system, slightly(I hope). Hardy heron

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Hi

Last night I was trying to write an image to a dvd. The image was in .mdf format, so I went to synaptic and downloaded fuse-something. But couldnt find it once on my system(I'm guessing its command line only?).
So the hunt continued, and I downloaded mdf2iso. that too seemed to vanish into the depths of system files.
Then I found Acetoneiso2, which seemed really nice, but would only let me use it as a root user.
I hate having to do that. If I'm the registered user of this pc, I should be able to use a program, without resorting to black magic and incantations.

Which brings me back to my call for help. Somehow, while sacrificing birds eggs, and shoving lavender into my Psu, something went wrong:-I

The first time I typed in 'gksudo nautilus' I put an extra 'l' in by mistake. Then I typed it in correctly and nothing happened. Before when I typed that command, the root-user explorer would pop up, and I could look at what ever file were normally hidden from view, or write protected.
This time nothing:-(
So I hunted some more, and found that I could run a program as a root from the terminal. So I typed 'gksudo' and ran 'Acetoneiso2'. That worked, and I was able to convert the file to iso, and put it into media/cd rom for writing.
The trouble was, I still couldnt see home folder, file system etc as a root. So I kept typing 'gksudo nautilus' until I started getting 'segmentation fault' errors.
Then all of a sudden folders and files on my desktop became unreadable '...nautilus..desktop..no program to run this file...' It was late, I cant remember it all.
Then I did something even sillier, looking for help on nautilus, I found something on 'how to make hidden folders visible', ah ha I thought, now I might find that iso, and be able to write the dvd. So I type ctrl+H, and poof, all the folders on my desktop vanished!

Now for some reason I've got the contents of my home folder on the desktop.

If any of this makes sense, please help. And If you're asking yourself, how and why? I have a cold, and I'm on a lot of medication, which reinforces my 'never back down until you succeed' mentality.

Thanks

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Have you rebooted?

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yes, no difference.

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Lets have a look what you did

cat /home/yourusername/.bash_history | tail -50

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
Activating blush mode: Heres the whole sad story.

emile@emile:~$ cat /home/emile/.bash_history | tail -50
sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0
regedit
env WINEPREFIX="/home/emile/.wine" wine "C:\Garmin\Training Center.exe"
wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
chmod +x winetricks
sh winetricks gdiplus
env WINEPREFIX="/home/emile/.wine" wine "C:\Garmin\Training Cen
emile@emile:~$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/emile/.wine" wine "C:\Garmin\Training Center.exe"
regedit
sudo gpsbabel
-w
w
r
gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f /dev/ttyS1 -o gpx -F test_wpt.gpx
gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f /dev/ttyS0 -o gpx -F test_wpt.gpx
sudo gpsbabel
gpsbabel -w -i garmin -f /dev/ttyS0 -o gpx -F test_wpt.gpx
b
cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
sudo rm -rf /opt/google-earth && sudo rm /usr/share/mime/application/vnd.google-earth.* /usr/share/mimelnk/application/vnd.google-earth.* /usr/share/applnk/Google-googleearth.desktop /usr/share/mime/packages/googleearth-mimetypes.xml /usr/share/gnome/apps/Google-googleearth.desktop /usr/share/applications/Google-googleearth.desktop /usr/local/bin/googleearth
cd ~/Desktop
chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
mount Armada 2.mdf /mountpath -t iso9660 -o loop
gksudo nautilus
mount file.mdf /mountpath -t iso9660 -o loop
mount Armada 2.mdf /mountpath -t iso9660 -o loop
mount Armada 2.mdf /media/cdrom0 -t iso9660 -o loop
gksudo nautillus
gksudo nautilus
acetoneiso
gksudo nautilus
gksudo
brasero
nautilus
reboot
sudo nautilus
gksudo brasero
gksudo brasero disc burning
gksudo
sudo cp <armada.iso> <desktop>
sudo cp armada.iso desktop
gksudo cp armada.iso desktop
sudo -s
gksudo
gksudo nautilus
emile@emile:~$

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
Well you aint done nothing bad as far as I can see.

If you can open places>home folder then edit> prefs untick show hidden files if it's ticked will set it back to default behaviour.

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
The 'show hidden folders' box wasn't ticked. So I ticked and un-ticked it, the rebooted, still nothing.
The funny thing was, that when I used that ctrl+H command, I didnt see anything extra, and the stuff on my desktop just disappeared. I'd like remove the home folder contents from the desktop, and put my old folders(wherever they are) back there.

Could I have caused some trouble as a root, that the history didn't show?

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 01:39 PM
Does places and your home folder look/work ok. Is nautilus working ok.

Take a screenshot of your desktop.

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Ok, found my desktop folders. I found it while saving the screen shot. I do remember telling that acetoneiso2 program, that I wanted the iso saved in desktop. I must have made a new folder?

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Yep your desktop is displaying your home folder contents plus the iso.

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Another screenshot.

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
From the terminal run
gconf-editor
and browse to /apps/nautilus/preferences/.
There should be an option there called desktop_is_home_dir.

If it's ticked then untick it.

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
And if its unticked?

philinux
October 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Then we'll have to think again. :)

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
Luddite+linux= trouble.

ceaser_salad
October 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
I experimented with deleting this mysterious 'desktop' folder. I cut and pasted the contents to the home folder and hit del. No problems. Then I took a screenshot, and instead of having the fake desktop folder as a save option, my user folder is there. When I try and select the true desktop, it jumps back and selects the user again:confused:

ceaser_salad
October 24th, 2008, 04:09 PM
bump

ceaser_salad
October 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM
help

ceaser_salad
October 26th, 2008, 10:03 PM
bump

ceaser_salad
October 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Anybody?

klytu
October 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Anybody?

OK, I'll take a shot. Please post 3 screenshots: one of your current Desktop, one of your home folder, and one of the Desktop folder within your home folder.

ceaser_salad
October 27th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks. Here you go.

klytu
October 27th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks. Here you go.

OK. Try typing this in a terminal console:
gconf-editorThen navigate to apps>nautilus>preferences In the right-hand window, confirm that the box next to desktop_is_home_dir is checked. Then, uncheck it.

Once this is completed, let me know what's on your desktop.

ceaser_salad
October 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
No luck, the box was unchecked.

dracayr
October 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
in a terminal, execute:

gedit ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs

look for this entry: XDG_DESKTOP_DIR. Change it to this:XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop". Save, log off and login again.

dracayr

ceaser_salad
October 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Yay! That did it. Thanks guys!!!
SOLVED

klytu
October 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Glad you solved your issue!