PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] skype through 'apt-get'

jesar_gacula
October 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
is it possible to install skype through 'apt-get' even if our internet here at the office is secured? i mean, it has a blocker..

eragon100
October 23rd, 2008, 12:07 PM
yes, you can install .deb packages offline as well. Get the skype package somewhere else, put it on a USB stick, take it to your work and install it there. Just double-click it and select "install package" in the small menu that appears.

However, will you be able to use it if your internet is blocked? I mean, skype works over the internet offcourse, so...

Pagh
October 23rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
As far as I remember Skype is not in the repository (at least not as a default) hence it's not possible to install it at all with apt-get - why don't you just download it from skype.com - it's just a .deb file that you need to install.

All the best Kasper Roland Pagh

Ps. Try to download it through another port (8080 if often used as default port for standard browsing - it should work) if it doesn't work course of the blocker thinhy. Hope it helped

jesar_gacula
October 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
bwehehehe..i thought i can install it from my station without downloading it from other sources..hehehe!

jesar_gacula
October 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
is there a site/portal that i can use to evade the blocker? so that i can download skype from its site and have it installed here.. :)

Ms_Angel_D
October 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Ubuntu Tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) allows you to install skype you might wish to check it out.

hyper_ch
October 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
just add the Medibuntu repos and you get skype easily or download the packages from the Medibuntu site - they have 64bit versions.

As alternative you can download 32bit skype directly from skype.com.

Adding the medibuntu repos is - imho - simple and you get also access to other stuff.

ww711
October 23rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
is it possible to install skype through 'apt-get' even if our internet here at the office is secured? i mean, it has a blocker..

Even if you install skype successfully, you may find it unlikely that you will have access to use skype, as you mentioned, you have a 'blocker', probably a proxy of some description that probably blocks the Skype ports...you'd also need the admin password of that system to install the program too...