PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] New computer

otamotacon
October 23rd, 2008, 03:49 AM
I will be getting a new computer soon. I plan on formatting it with Ubuntu as soon as i get it. I was wondering why the best kind would be for Ubuntu. It would mostly be used to download media files (music, videos) and burn DVDs.
What would be the best computer for me?
would all my drivers work?
do all external hard drives work with Ubuntu?

eternalnewbee
October 23rd, 2008, 04:29 AM
8.10 is coming soon, but the stable version is 8.04.
What are the hardware specifications of the computer you want to buy?
For example cpu, memory, and graphic card.

JC Cheloven
October 23rd, 2008, 04:37 AM
I will be getting a new computer soon. I plan on formatting it with Ubuntu as soon as i get it. I was wondering why the best kind would be for Ubuntu. It would mostly be used to download media files (music, videos) and burn DVDs.
What would be the best computer for me?
would all my drivers work?
do all external hard drives work with Ubuntu?

As far as I understand, you want hints for the computer to buy. Otherwise, the answer is clear: take the last ubuntu version, either with kde or gnome desktop (it's only a matter of taste really). As for the computer: Here (http://webapps.ubuntu.com/certification/) is a good place to make a secure bet ;-)

sethvath
October 23rd, 2008, 04:43 AM
Easiest solution: buy from dell or system76.

Want to build your own rig? List all the parts required and verfiy they work under ubuntu. Or check the parts dell/system76 uses and build a similar one. Any computer could work for your needs, especially if you do not intend to use it for games.

otamotacon
October 23rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
8.10 is coming soon, but the stable version is 8.04.
What are the hardware specifications of the computer you want to buy?
For example CPU, memory, and graphic card.

I'm getting an external hard drive so I wont need a lot. I guess at least 40GB hard drive

As for the CPU and graphic card I'm not too sure. i guess i need to figure that one out.

eternalnewbee
October 23rd, 2008, 04:54 AM
I would recommend an nvidia card, not ati card.

dondad
October 23rd, 2008, 04:59 AM
I'm getting an external hard drive so I wont need a lot. I guess at least 40GB hard drive

As for the CPU and graphic card I'm not too sure. i guess i need to figure that one out.

Hard drives are so cheap now that unless you can get it for free, I would not even think about buying a 40 or 80 gig drive. You can get a terabyte for less than $200 these days and 500 gig are sometimes less than $100 if you can find a sale.

JC Cheloven
October 23rd, 2008, 05:34 AM
Oh ... if you decide to make your own box instead of buying a branded one, here are some guidelines from my own experience:

Graphics: Intel or Nvidia. Avoid ATI and SiS.
Wireless: Intel is more secure for linux. Avoid Broadcom.
CPU: Intel or AMD, either 32 or 64 bits. Both are good for linux.

... and if you plan to buy also a printer, I'd recommend Samsung (they lately include linux drivers, as easy to install as windoz ones), or HP (have good support for linux). Anyway, before deciding, have a look here (http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting) , specially if your printer is not advertised as "delivered with linux drivers" by the vendor.

Hope you're succesful with your decission ;-)

Sef
October 23rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Look at this sticky (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=919225). It has listing of companies that pre-install Ubuntu.

indytim
October 23rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
With other posters, I also recommend building it yourself. If you choose your components wisely, you'll end up with a cost effective pc that will most likely have better quality than the near-junk components the off the shelf computers are equipped with these days.

If you're interested, here's a link to a forum that is pretty focused on building your own pc :
Hardwar Guys Forum (http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi)

btw- I'm designing my 5th build right now :)

IndyTim

nhasian
October 23rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
i'm going to be building a new HTPC for myself as well. I strongly encourage you to wait for the new Intel i7 Core CPUs and motherboards to become available in the next couple of weeks. quad cores with hyperthreading enabled. what will i do with all that power? :KS

even if you dont want to get the latest and the greatest, the older generation of CPUs will be cheaper. plus DDR2 ram will come down in price as well. The new Intel i7 core requires DDR3 sticks of ram to be installed in 3's. weird i know, but the memory vendors have already started packaging 3 x 1gig sticks or 3 x 2 gig sticks of ram.

3rdalbum
October 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Graphics: Lots of people are saying that you should buy Intel or Nvidia, but avoid ATI or SiS. I agree with avoiding SiS, but I disagree with avoiding ATI.

ATI's drivers are not efficient, but at least they're not unstable. If you buy a computer with an ATI card, it will run faster than integrated Intel graphics, and probably be very nearly as stable. If you buy an Nvidia card, you'll get great 3D performance but probably suffer a multitude of crashes, freezes, or wrong colours in video playback if you're really lucky.

Nvidia's drivers suck.

3rdalbum
October 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
i'm going to be building a new HTPC for myself as well. I strongly encourage you to wait for the new Intel i7 Core CPUs and motherboards to become available in the next couple of weeks. quad cores with hyperthreading enabled. what will i do with all that power? :KS

Sorry to go a little off-topic, but the development version of Blacklight supports multiprocessing... you could buy a Walkman and encode 8 videos to it simultaneously!

otamotacon
October 23rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
This is what I can get from dell, set up for ubuntu:

Processor: IntelŪ PentiumŪ dual-core processor E2200 (1MB L2, 2.2GHz, 800FSB)
Operating system: Ubuntu 8.04 with DVD Playback
Memory: 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
Hard drive: 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
Optical Driver: Dual Drives: 16X DVD ROM Drive and 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo
Video Card: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Optional Port: not too sure about this one
Price: $733
I don't know if this is what I'm going to stick with

JC Cheloven
October 24th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Operating system: Ubuntu 8.04 with DVD Playback
Memory: 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 DIMMs
Hard drive: 320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
Optical Driver: Dual Drives: 16X DVD ROM Drive and 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo
Video Card: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100
Optional Port: not too sure about this one
I don't know if this is what I'm going to stick with

I'd love to have this one. My box sucks compared to that >:-/

If you like it, and the price is reasonable in your environment (I'd google a little to find out about this point), simply go for it. Dell has a fantastic support, in my experience.

Dr Small
October 24th, 2008, 02:20 AM
If you buy an Nvidia card, you'll get great 3D performance but probably suffer a multitude of crashes, freezes, or wrong colours in video playback if you're really lucky.

Nvidia's drivers stink.

I have never had a single problem out of any of the Nvidia cards that I have. I have 2 ATi cards, and they are junk on Linux.

nhasian
October 24th, 2008, 08:57 AM
man thats pretty expensive for a low end pc. I'm not sure what model that is. I do like both HP and Dell, but you should never pay full retail price from their website. thats what coupons are for!

you can usually find 20% coupons and if your patient you can find and use a 30% off coupon.

these sites might help:

http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=3766

those two were for notebooks, but this page has coupons for desktops as well:

http://bensbargains.net/

For example, just to compare with your E2200 (dual core 2.2ghz) for $733, on bensbargains i see an Intel Q9300 Quad-Core 2.5GHz with more hard disk space and better video card for only $600.

starcannon
October 24th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Avoid SiS and VIA

Nvidia and ATi are comparable when set up correctly, my colors and stability are superb on my Nvidia cards. Indeed Nvidia is my personal favorite; however, ATi is making great strides in earning my patronage, they really are trying to cater to the linux crowd, and they really do make an excellent product. So either way, ATi or Nvidia and you'll be a very happy camper(note Nvidia is probably a bit easier to setup but the end result of either will be very nice).

The intel graphics are stable and useable, even allowing compiz effects, but they are limited at this time with many other applications requiring 3D effects.

I can not stress enough to NOT buy an SiS or VIA chipped board or Graphics processor at this time; VIA is making some improvement with support, but they have a long ways yet to go. It is possible to get nearly as good of performance from a VIA card as an Intel card, but your gonna have to REALLY want it bad, and work for it HARD.

Motherboards, my favorite has always been Nvidia Nforce boards, but I have had great luck with Intel boards as well. Best bet is to mate your board to your CPU and Graphics card of choice. Once the board is picked(don't be cheap, this is the backbone of the whole thing).

Then buy the fastest CPU you can afford and as much of the Memory that takes full advantage of the CPU that you can afford (1gb is a starting place in my opinion); I prefer Kingston memory for my builds, but Crucial and PNY to name a few are also very fine. Western Digital and Samsung both make excellent SATA hard disk drives at an affordable price, Seagate a once long time favorite of mine has not seemed as reliabe as of late.

Finally, buy a GOOD Power Supply, nothing sucks worse than to have a $35 powersupply eat a $150 motherboard and or the Hard Drives and diety-of-your-choice knows what else. I like Thermal Take Power Supplys, but there are other good ones out there (i'm drawing a blank at the moment on other brands sorry).

You'll need a home for all the goodies that UPS, Fedex, whoever brings you, so a case is next. Just about anything supporting your motherboard and Powersupplies form factor will do, look for good ventilation, and a solid design, you can reuse a good case over and over for many builds to come.

GL and have fun, whether you buy a prebuilt, or take the plunge into building your own(I love building desktop computers).

otamotacon
November 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM
I'm bringing this topic back because I still have not decided on a PC. I have decided I'm not going to build it. I have no experience with building my own, I think i might mess something up if i do it myself.

I found this one at best buys. Looks like its has everything i need.
I just need to know, should i get a quad core processor? and can I format Ubuntu on it(run dual operating systems)?

Acer Aspire X3200 w/ cannon printer and 22' lcd screen
Price $459
CPU 2.1GHz AMD Phenom X3 8450
Memory 4GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics 256MB Nvidia GeForce 8200 integrated graphics chip
Hard drives 320GB 7,200 rpm
Optical drive dual-layer DVD burner
Networking Gigabit Ethernet
Video outputs VGA, HDMI
Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

nhasian
November 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM
I still think the best deals to be had are from Dell or HP's website if you use a 30% off coupon code. Alternatively if you want to buy a PC from a department store then take a sneak peak at the black friday deals (the day after thanksgiving) at:

www.blackfriday.info

otamotacon
December 3rd, 2008, 01:04 AM
I wont to build it my self. My only concern is, can i screw it up?

kernelhaxor
December 3rd, 2008, 01:07 AM
I wont to build it my self. My only concern is, can i screw it up?

Its not hard at all with all the resources on the web and help from these forums ..
There are a lot of threads in this forum about people building their own systems .. you might wanna do a search for them to get more information and to see which hardware is compatible with Ubuntu ..

LowSky
December 3rd, 2008, 01:18 AM
buy a Dell with Ubuntu preinstalled, save yourself the headache of hard ware compatability

indytim
December 3rd, 2008, 01:35 AM
If you're looking for a quality pc (and willing to spend a few dollars for quality components), you might consider building you own. It's not a formidable task. The hardest part is choosing the correct match of components. As was stated previously, there is a good supply of resources on the web to guide you through the whole process. I'm including a link to a forum dedicated to building your own pc (I'm on #4 with #5 in the planning stages). This site is also frequented by number of particiants that are avid Ubuntu-Kubunu enthusiast so you should be steered straight with respect to the hardware compatibility issues.

Hardware Guys (http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi)

IndyTim

otamotacon
December 3rd, 2008, 01:41 AM
LowSky:
On dell there is only one computer available with Ubuntu, I want more options

and thanks indytim ill try that.

otamotacon
December 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
The box i picked out throught Dell has an integrated ATI graphics card, i can still go buy Nvidia and replace integrated one right? or is that what i will be stuck with?