PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] DSL Slow Speeds - Any Ideas?

D3M0L1$H3
October 22nd, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hello all,
I use Vista on one box with a wireless USB receiver to receive my internet from my D-Link router. I have another box with Ubuntu 8.04. I share the internet from Vista to Linux with a LAN cable and bridged connections.
My internet service was Bellsouth Fast Access DSL (Then they changed to AT&T). We recently upgraded to the Xtreme 6.0 or whatever that was supposed to be better for the same price.
We have a fairly old modem, so i suspect it to be the cause, but can anyone tell my why any computer using that internet DLs at max 48 kbps?
And maybe how to fix it?
thanks.

Meskarune
October 22nd, 2008, 09:17 PM
Giving your Ubuntu box a direct connection to the internet would speed things up. Sharing an internet connection can slow things for the other computer. And getting a newer modem couldn't hurt either.

D3M0L1$H3
October 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
oddly enough, most of my downloads on the shared internet in Ubuntu have a faster speed than the rest of the Windows boxes in the house. But it's still slow.
I'm hoping to get a new modem soon, but idk.

handydan918
October 22nd, 2008, 09:53 PM
i don't know what you are basing your download speeds on, but very few public servers will just let you flush a d/l at full speed. Try a speed test site like www.speedtest.net and see how you fare.
I would also consider the possibility of putting a router in the network if you don't have one already. It provides an extra layer of insulation from badguys on the Internet.